Wednesday, August 17, 2005

you can't go back


Sometimes I think that it'd be awesome to go back in time and have a "do over". I usually think this when I'm watching sports. I think it'd be great to play football or to wrestle again with all that I've learned from coaching for the past decade or so. Wrestling especially is a sport that having experience & knowledge helps incredibly. Today was one of those days. I just came home from football practice. I know that coaches would rather have somebody that works hard and knows his plays, than somebody who can run really fast but doesn't ever know when or where to run. So just when I started thinking that it'd be great to have a "do over", the coach had them all run...and then I realized that there are some things that would be tough to go back to. Cutting weight for wrestling - lifting 6 days a week - running sprints...
-
I don't really do those things much anymore. I'd lift weights...but they're so dang heavy....and I carry scissors wherever I go...and you know you're not supposed to run with scissors. My mom taught me that. She also taught me how to spell (and you see how well that turned out).
-
I was talking with some folks the other day about "do overs" (I'm not really sure why I keep putting those in quotes). It seems like we all (or at least the group that was in my living room...which is a pretty good cross sampling of Americans between the ages of 15-21, living in State College, PA.) have regrets. Big regrets and small. Some from years ago that have left some scars...and stupid little things from this past summer. The problem with these regrets is that they just sit there...and fester. Because of the no "do over" policy of this world...we've got some decisions to make. We could sulk, complain & blame others for what's happened to us or because of us (I'm pretty good at all of these)
or
we can try and create an environment that curtails all future regrets (impossible...but that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't give it a shot). So a lot of this is stemming from this new book I've just read "The best question ever" by Andy Stanley. Andy points out that we'd cut out most (if not all) of our major regrets if we'd stop and ask ourselves the greatest question ever...
He lays out a pretty good case. I'd try and sum it up...but that'd take all day. If you're interested, you should just buy the book - or me lunch.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:55 PM

    sean, what is the world's greatest question?

    ReplyDelete