Saturday, August 27, 2005

Built Ford Tough


My miniature van just died. Died is probably (hopefully) an exaggeration. It's more just kindda injured. I noticed that it made a noise...and then I noticed the power steering was out. Not a problem for a ridiculously strong man such as myself...but you've got to think of the children. I also noticed that the battery light went on. That's not good. I considered trying to drive it to the shop (car shop...not to go shopping for a new winter blazer) but then I remembered the last time I tried driving a vehicle with a failing battery.
It wasn't pretty...
I drove the car about 1/2 mile or so...and it died on me. So I put my portable battery charger on it...started it up...and drove another 1/4 mile or so. At this point I was on a very busy street, with no room off to the side, and had an incredibly cute 3 year old in the back seat. (still not sure who that kid was and how he got there). So I was a little nervous about stopping in the middle of traffic..but it wasn't up to me. It just stopped. That's when I decided to just hook up the battery charger and try and use that as my battery - just to get me home. The problem was that the battery charger didn't fit under the hood.
So...I just closed the hood as much as I could - started the car - and then drove at 3 or 4 miles an hour. You wanna go slow so the wind doesn't knock the hood up and break your windshield.
Apparently you want to go slower than 3 miles an hour.
So instead of having a bad alternator...I had a bad alternator, bent hood, and a cracked windshield. Oh, and I should mention that then I was driving on that very busy road, with the 3 year old in the back seat...and with a hood covering my broken windshield.
This is never good.
So today I just called AAA. I think it's just a belt...of course I always say that. "Sean, your car just stopped." "Yeah, let me take a looksy under the 'ol hood." "Uh, I think that's your trunk" "Sure...I knew that....it's just that I like to get the complete picture. Sounded to me like it's a belt" "But your gas light has been on for the past 18 miles"
"Nope, it's gotta be a belt"

No comments:

Post a Comment