Wednesday, August 24, 2005

the piano man


It's 5 o'clock in the morning...
why would anybody be up at 5 in the morning? It doesn't make sense. Personally I woke up because it felt like someone was sticking a corn shaped corn on the cob holder into the back of my left eye. Normally that's enough to say "ouch" or "man that kinda hurts" but in my case it was only a partial distraction to the sensation I was feeling throughout my head. I had the sense that someone was trying to bend metal into a circle...perhaps to make a wheel, or a decorative lawn statue...and they were using my head as the fulcrum point in which to shape the aforementioned metal. Again, "ow".
-
Part of me thinks maybe I should take up the ultimate fighting championships. I figure that if I'm going to wake up feeling like this anyway...might as well get a pair of those cool "Tap Out" shorts. And who doesn't want to be in the octagon? There's a, "hey look at that car that flipped over the side of the highway" element for me in watching the U.F.C. I don't really want to watch it...yet I'm compelled to. I see a lot of ex-wrestlers compete on that show, but I think it's more than that. It's just a fight. Boxing is not fighting. Nobody fights like a boxer...they grab, kick, choke, elbow...that's more like a real fight. I've seen a few real fights, and I've seen a few Ultimate fighting matches....they're both brutal...they're both grotesque on some level...but there is also a give and take unlike other physical competitions. You can almost see their brains thinking through the strategy.
Mine would be, "Don't get hit, don't get kicked, he's going to kick you! Duck! Run! Fake pulling a hammy and tap out" - or something like that. I just can't imagine fighting anymore. Defending your family...sure...but these guys always hug afterwards.
There's no hugging in fighting.

3 comments:

  1. I think you need to reset your computer clock. You "claim" to be up at 5, yet your timestamps clearly reads "posted by ylmurph @ 2:21 AM."

    Integrity, my friend...it's what's for dinner.

    Oh yeah, and I like the UFC guys, too. Did you see the one where the guy couldn't cut weight, so he quit. What a baby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait. The timestamp on my post says 7:21 AM. What's going on? Am I living in some bizzarro alternate universe? My clock tells me that it's clearly 10:23. I ate breakfast a long time ago...

    Help me, Obi Wan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. rich franklin from the UFC taught math at oak hills high school. he used to show kids videos of his fights. every kid in that school was scared to death of him and thought he was the best teacher ever simultaneously.

    why couldnt i have a sweet math teacher like that? i think mrs. ryberg would have gotten manhandled in the octagon. ken shamrock would break her in half ivan drago style.

    ReplyDelete