Tuesday, August 23, 2005

football practice


I have football practice in 15 minutes. It's always interesting to me to watch these 70+ guys show up to play football. There are always a few kids that can't run, catch or throw....so we'd put them on the offensive line, but they're also weak, have poor balance and don't really know how to block. I always wonder why they'd come out for the team. They usually figure it out by mid-year and then just don't come out the following season. Every once in a while though, we get a kid who isn't that big, fast or coordinated that just out works everybody else. You find yourself just watching this kid and thinking, "if only _______ worked that hard, he'd be all state". It's a shame, because the kids who are much better athletes - who don't work that hard in practice sometimes....they're the ones who get to play in the games. The shame is...they aren't going to realize their true football potential. They're just good enough to coast by.
-
Sometimes I wonder which guy I am. Am I the guy who takes what gifts I have...and then maximizes them with hard work, determination and focused energies?
or
Am I the guy who takes advantage of my gifts, and just kind of coasts.
So the questions is: Could I be all state in life? Is it possible that I could be more loving, caring, empathetic, discerning, encouraging? How many opportunities to change a person's day...or even life am I missing? Could I do more?
-yup
maybe that'd be worth a shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment