Tuesday, February 28, 2006

eternal algebra


A friend of mine used to describe eternity as a trip to California.
Conversely, life on Earth is like parking in the middle of a parking lot at an amusement park. If the trolley comes by and there's no room to sit, you don't mind standing up and holding onto the little loopy deal hanging from the roof. It's actually kind of fun.
What wouldn't be fun is standing the entire trip to California. I can stand for a few minutes if I know that I'll be getting off the trolley soon..and I can see my destination...but for several days?
His point was that life's little inconveniences are just a blip on the radar. When we realize that our life here on Earth is just a quick little trip to Disney World...it's easier to weather the storms. You don't mind standing up while someone else takes a seat, because it's not that long in comparison.

On the scale of eternity....with a line that goes forever in the past, and forever in the future...our lives are the smallest of dots. It's helpful for me to think about that when I'm trying to make a big decision.

So the question is, are you living for the dot, or are you living for the line?

1 comment:

  1. "Sometimes that one dot can make a difference as to which way the line goes."


    Chew on that Socrates.

    ReplyDelete