Wednesday, February 15, 2006

wind catchers


I'd rather ride in a paddle boat than a sailboat. I'd rather churn my feet on the pedals and steer that boat around the lake. On the surface, it seems like that's where the action is.

I'm guessing it's a control issue with me. I'd rather try and crank out work than depend on anyone or anything...like the wind.

I've heard that some of the best sailors sometimes just sit on the shore and look for wind before they head out. Even better sailors just head out to where they know the wind will be. They know it instinctively because they've been wind catchers their entire lives. They don't create the wind and certainly can't control it...but they know it.

My control tendencies, driven by being selfish, full of pride, insecure or all of the above - keep me from experiencing the wind. I crank along at a snails pace...and then eventually get tired and quit...while people sail by me enjoying the wind.

I've been on the sailboat a few times. It's nice to just enjoy the ride. You pull a few ropes, shift a few things around...but the power of the wind is really what gets you going.

I want to stop cranking. I want to stop trying to control everything. I want to enjoy the wind. I want to be carried away with it. I struggle with wanting to paddle...but man would it be great to be wrapped up in the power of the wind....to bask in it.

1 comment: