Wednesday, March 01, 2006

oops


So I'm walking up to the stage yesterday as Simon, the control freak who only wants people to do what he says....when I notice a lady in a wheelchair.

Ordinarily, that doesn't really cause me to stop and think. The problem is, in Simon Says - you have to have a couple of sure fire outs. I was going to start with, "Hey, we're going to play Simon Says - so everyone stand up" It's a quick way to get started, 3/4's of the room is out before you start, it's kind of funny...and then you start over.

So what do you do if that's your first out?
Also, when you're out in Simon Says, you have to sit down. I ended up saying, "stand up...or scoot your chair back to let us know you're playing"

I never really empathize with people very well. I spend very little time thinking about how it must be for a blind person to find something fun to do on a Saturday night with their friends. For about ten years, it seems like the only things you can do for fun are go to a movie or go bowling. I'm guessing that movies aren't so bad if you're blind, and I've actually gone bowling with a blind guy...but still. I don't think about wheelchair access, wide aisles, elevators or how someone who can't stand up is going to play Simon Says. I guess I don't because I don't have to live in a wheelchair. I'm like that with most things. If it's something that affects me, I'm ready to go to war fighting for a change....otherwise, I just don't think about it.

I used to think about all the celebrities that work for charities because they're afflicted with the particular disease or someone in their family is...and think, "You wouldn't care about this at all if you didn't have a mom with Lupus" I guess I'm just like them. I spend very little time putting myself in someone else's shoes.

or wheelchair...

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm..that same woman wheeled up to me after MY talk and said her favorite part of the MY session was YOUR "Simon Says" game. So much for my speaking career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sean - can you dvr the office for me tomorrow night? i'll be driving and have to miss it and i don't want to pay $2 to download it. i am obsessed. thanks for hooking me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:52 PM

    seriously,that's your responce to his blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:06 PM

    I never really considered other people's access needs until I worked on a project in college designing a special classroom chair for medically obesce (sp?)students. I never really considered how difficult simple things can become when you have some form of disability.

    By the way, that was a great class - I got to work on projects designing classroom furniture for students with permanent and temporary disabilities, long-distance computer networking allowing court reporters to transcribe class lectures in real-time for deaf students without the reporter having to sit next to the student in class (or even be in the country, for that matter), and work on a really cool GPS locator map of Purdue's campus to help blind students make their way around campus. Man, the more I look back on it, that was a really cool class. I wish I would have worked harder in it... although a lot of those projects are still in use on the campus. *pats self on back self-righteously*

    ReplyDelete