Thursday, February 02, 2006

fight the power


I was talking with a guy who mentioned that he doesn't listen to Christian music because he wonders why these guys are in it.
His point was that he thinks these guys and gals are just making music for the money. I asked him how many people he thought worked at our church for the money. He said, "everybody" Now I don't agree with him on that...and I don't really listen to Christian music myself...but I wondered about his assumptions.

I do the same thing all the time. I give my opinion about other's motives a bunch... but what do I know? Maybe these musicians are just in it for the dough. Maybe they're in it for the fame. Maybe everyone working at this church is just picking up a paycheck. Maybe we all clamor for the stage or running big meetings or having big titles for the "fame" - who knows?

The bottom line is that all of this assuming can really be debilitating. I know people that won't listen to a politician's point because he or she is from a different party. I heard an interviewer asking one of the heads of the Democratic party about some quotes from President Bush...and the guy said the President was dead wrong and a liar....and then the interviewer told him he was just kidding...they were actually quotes from John Kerry....and that changed everything. Same quotes...just different assumptions. Both sides do it...I'll even throw in the Green party (and their 17 supporters) It doesn't matter what the truth is...just who said it.

I can't watch movies because some of the stars are in it just to be famous. I can't watch tv because some of it's cheesy. I can't listen to jazz because some of those guys don't really have "soul" they're just picking up a paycheck. I can't talk to my neighbor because there are dangerous people out there. I can't go to a play because some of the actors aren't that good. I can't listen to Christian music because some of it's cheesy. I just know that mall Santa isn't really jolly and I'm not buying into his schtick...and I'm definitely not sitting on his lap.
I'm not doing anything anymore...I can't....there's the possibility that people have some screwed up motives.

I can no longer read blogs because this one is so bad...

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Well said, especially the last line...

    I guess you can not watch the game this weekend, since some people try to make it all about them... Or will you make an exception for "the bus"? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my whole point...if I let the bus making the Super Bowl all about him (and his hall of fame career) I couldn't enjoy the Super Bowl. Why would I rob myself of that?
    People (including myself...becuase, you know...I'm people) lose out on so much - joy, laughter, friendships...because they refuse to engage in stuff because the people involved might be a little screwy.
    It takes all the fun out of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no opinion on this post, but is anyone else old enough to remember Russ Taff? Dude had some serious pipes. Don't know if he was in the for the money, but I doubt he made enough to make it worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no opinion on this post, but is anyone else old enough to remember Russ Taff? Dude had some serious pipes. Don't know if he was in the for the money, but I doubt he made enough to make it worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember him...but I love the look!!!

    ReplyDelete