Wednesday, May 31, 2006

World Cup


I get that people like soccer. If that's the case, then they should probably watch the World Cup. Having said that, I'm not.

I just don't care. I've never seen the evangelistic fervor more prevalent than in a soccer fan telling me how horrible it is that I'm not going to watch the World Cup. "It's the most popular sport in the world!" Really? I'd never heard that.

I hear the same thing from NASCAR fans. I wonder, can so many people with so few teeth be wrong?

I've decided to go with the - it's very popular - ergo, it's very good.

For years Baywatch was the best tv show in the World.

You have your pick for best singer of all time - Mariah, Michael Bolton, the Spice Girls...

Fahrenheit 9/11 is the all time best documentary.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the all time best movie.

The Da Vinci Code is the best movie in the world right now.

Elvis has the most popular stamp ever sold - well, that one really does make sense...

O.K., I get it....a lot of people like the world cup....so obviously it's the best...that just stands to reason. Popular = Awesome - just ask Britney Spears

How can I argue with that logic?

So let's all go out and celebrate our teams victory with a knife fight in the parking lot, followed by looting and setting our cars on fire.

8 comments:

  1. European soccer fans make the Oakland "Black Hole" look like a bunch of JV cheerleaders. Just a side note.


    I'm a big soccer fan, and honestly it doesn't bother me that you won't watch the Cup. I know you'd rather watch hairy men in spandex rub up on each other, and you know what Murph? That is ok.


    By the way, what's the most popular/best-selling book of all time?

    Sometimes it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, I don't watch soccer. I just can't get into it. The field's too big. There's just not enough action to suit my needs.

    As for the greatest sport, wrestling is right up there with ice hockey. Constant action. Never a dull moment. Everything makes sense.

    Oh, and I am always disqualified when I enter a knife fight because I carry two large guns with me everywhere I go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dan
    my greatest wish in life is that i could have combacks to sean like you
    i just love yours
    i feel like that's why you're in his top ten - you dish it back. i just laugh and change the subject

    ReplyDelete
  4. my greatest wish in life is world peace - and end to hunger and suffering - less time waiting in lines - comebacks to Dan - a cure for cancer - Ed would come back on the air - a cure for aids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:55 AM

    murph-

    i've always thought that soccer was a great a sport, and I hope my daughters will play it.

    i too will not be watching the world cup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vanilla is the most popular ice cream flavor in the world. What? Are you kidding me? Who craves a scoop of vanilla?

    I have never understood this. And I never will. Of all the choices in the world, if your favorite ice cream is vanilla, then you have serious mental problems.

    You probably also think wrestlin' and ice hockey are the two best sports in the world.

    Weirdos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:53 PM

    First of all, I am learning vanilla is my favorite ice cream with either strawberries or gummy bears or magic shell on it. And not the kind with vanilla beans or french vanilla, just the regular plain kind. And second i DO love wrestling and it IS the greatest sport in the world. Third, Sean will fight you for calling me a weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jana,

    It's a gift.


    Annie,

    I really like you. I think you're great, but...

    Any flavor that needs a topping to make it taste better is not the best flavor.


    Anyway, I'm praying for you and your baby girl.

    ReplyDelete