Friday, May 12, 2006

keepin' time



There's just something about a big 'ol clock that I love.

I'm not talking Big Ben big...(remember, they oppress my people) Just a clock that's noticeably larger than your every day, run of the mill clock.

I used to fear the digital watches (and have since worked through that phobia to the point that I'm sporting one as I write this very run-on sentence) I used to have a big clock that would break every few months...but I loved it.
I loved it like a second cousin that you don't necessarily call that often, but it's fun when you get to a family function and think, "Oh yeah, Craig is going to be here"
-and it's not quite a sentence that you finish with an exclamation point...but it's close.

Since we've moved to the Dub-C, we've purchased a second large clock. It's not quite the same...for one, it works....and for some reason it just doesn't seem as large. I think it's the muted colors. I've also notice that it's two minutes fast. That drives me nuts (my favorite punch line to a pirate joke, coincidentally).

I need to be surrounded by non-digital clocks that run on time.I read a poem about time once...and my professor said that this particular poem inspired him to never again wear a watch. I don't know how he does it.

I know that a lot of people don't wear watches anymore because they have clocks on their cell phones. I just can't do that. First of all...they're phones and not to be trusted, and B, they're in your pockets.

If someone says, "Quick, I've got to know what time it is in the next 2 seconds or that boat will explode and we'll lose a month's supply of tartar sauce!" I'd save the boat...and you cell phone clock watchers (aren't puns awfull?) would be soaking in tartar sauce.

In the old west, the guy with the gun attached to his wrist always beat the guy who had to pull one out of his holster...it just makes sense.

5 comments:

  1. We were so poor growing up that Mom would have to call "time and temperature" to find out what time it was. Of course, we were so poor, we didn't have a phone..so..

    what were we talking aobut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through your comment at Alan's blog...that's my favorite pirate joke punchline, too... :^D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bragg also loves big clocks. Wait...there's an extra letter in that sentence.

    Steve "hitting the bottom of the barrel" Fuller

    ReplyDelete
  4. as I wrote that line I knew, "Steve will send in a comment saying something to the tune of 'you accidentally put an L in there' or 'did you say clocks or......?'"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know...I need help. It's like an illness. I blame Evan.

    ReplyDelete