Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Happy RGS Day!


A great day for the world. It was on this very day, May 16th (or dieciséis de Mayo) that Congress approved the nickel.

That's pretty good right? Not quite good enough to make this a great day though....or is it?

On this very day, Tracey Gold was born. That young lady taught us more about eating disorders and drunk driving than just about any actress before her. She paved the way for Lindsay, Halle, Courtney, Paris and a slew of others to follow in her footsteps.

What about from the world of music, you ask.... I give you Janet, Ms. Jackson if you're nasty.

Sports? I give you Jack Morris, Gabriella Sabatini, Thurman Thomas, Olga Korbut, John Salley and Ty Armstrong (baseball, tennis, football, gymnastics, basketball and golf - 4 of which are sports)

This is starting to sound like an awesome day...but let's not forget:
We lost both Sammy Davis Jr and Jim Henson on this day. We will never again have those cute little floppy legs dancing around on stage while singing with a funny, side of the mouth voice again...

On this day the Cincinnati Reds played their first game ever - winning by the narrow margin of 41-7

Rootbeer was invented on this day.

Joan of Arc became a Saint

This was the date of the first Academy Awards (a guy playing someone with a learning disability won for best actor, a surprise entry won best supporting actress, a film with a political agenda won for best picture and Meryl Streep won best Actress)

All of this is but a footnote to the history changing event that happened on May 16th, 1956
Young Robert James Saget was born - forever changing the history of situation comedies in America and throughout the World.

2 comments:

  1. I know we are buds and all, but you failed to mention that my very own daughter was born on this very day in 1998. Don't feel bad, I couldn't tell you the dates any of your kids were born either. Heck, I couldn't tell you the date you were born. Maybe I'm not a good friend after all...

    admitting that I have a problem is the first step to healing. Or it's just my way of appearing to care, but inside we all know I'm heartless and only care about me & my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that a couple Saturday nights ago, while wasting a small portion of my life in front of the television, I found myself with a staggeringly abysmal set of options for programs and I opted to watch America's Funniest Home Videos or AFV as Sean would call it. My options and the list of preference went something like this;
    1. America's Funniest Home Videos
    2. rubbing rock salt into my eyes
    3. staging a skit where I get hit in the crotch with a baseball bat for submission to America's Funniest Home Videos
    4. The Lawrence Welk Show (ca. 1959)
    5. NCIS
    6. TBN
    7. The Ghost Whisperer

    It was the first time TBN had ever climbed out of the dank, dark cellar of last place on my viewing options. Very momentous. On behalf of the Trinity Broadcasting Network I would like to thank Jennifer Love Hewitt, CBS and the writers of The Ghost Whisperer for making this moment possible.

    ReplyDelete