Monday, May 01, 2006

#85


"I like their work, I just don't like them that much."
How important is that exactly?

Here's why I ask...I really like Woody Allen's books, stand up and movies. He's also kind of a goofball. He was a goofball before he started cheating on his wife with her daughter...but nobody knew it.

I like some artists that are just screwed up. I hear them on talk shows or read them in interviews and they make me want to melon ball my trachea.

So should the point be the art? Can you separate the art from artist? I know people that would rather chew aluminum foil that say they liked the movie that a republican was in. I know people that refuse to watch anything with Charlie Sheen, Alec Baldwin or Sean Penn because of how they vote. Can you honestly say that Men at Work, Miami Blues and Shanghai Surprise aren't incredible movies?

The same question pops up in sports. I wonder how I'd feel if the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers picked up Terrell Owens? When the team that I'm behind is out of the picture (take the Pirates for example....seriously, would someone take them?) I tend to root for the team that doesn't have the players I can't stand. That means I like whoever doesn't have the linebacker that does a backflip every time they make a tackle for a 4 yard gain. It's hard to like a team that has a wide receiver that moon dances when he makes a 13 yard reception on third and 15. "O.K., we get it...you like attention. This is where you get your affirmation and love. That's why we were all cheering and wearing your jersey....now stop it"

Maybe in sports it kind of works...because you can root against someone. How does that play itself out in movies? Should someone who hates Scientology root for M.I.3 and Fat Actress to get crushed at the box office and in the ratings?

these are the questions I have for you...

7 comments:

  1. I tend to do the same thing which inevitably means that I end up rooting for teams that can quite win more games than they lose. But I would like to state for the record that my two teams are sitting with the two best records in baseball if only for today. The Reds and the White Sox have not had the two best records since 1919. Remember 1919? Yeah Dad would take the buggy to work selling blocks of ice for the ice box. We had that one light bulb in the house and were about to get indoor plumbing. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine someone refusing to look at the person of Jesus Christ simply because idiots like Pat Robertson and Me say we're on His team.


    Murph, it'd be a shame if you started only watching movies made by, or starring, the unblemished ones.

    You'd be watching a lot of Michael W. Smith and Bob Saget movies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah...a boy can dream! Imagine a world filled with your boy Michael Dub and the greatest living comedian "Sags" making every movie.

    it'd be a great great world indeed...
    (still boycotting your blog until you put Whoopi's pic on there)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Melon ball my trachea??" what the heck does that mean??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like 'splosions.

    MI:3 has 'splosions.

    End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that might be my all time favorite comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:51 AM

    I hope there is no trademark on the comment:
    "mellon ball my trachea"
    i love it
    i will use it
    lol...

    ReplyDelete