Monday, May 15, 2006

Periodic Reviews


I think I need to reflect more often. I don't mean to cover myself with aluminum foil and make like a mirror (again) I think I just need to refocus every once in a while...and the best way for me to do that is by reviewing what's going on in my life.

What are the things that are most important?
What are the things that are most important to me?
What are the things I'm spending my time on?
What are the things I should be spending my time on?
Who am I spending time with?
Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

I think we tend to drift...time just passes...we move around, but not necessarily forward. We don't just drift into what God has for us. We don't drift into the life that's meant for us. We don't drift into passion, risk, purpose. When we just sort of drift through life...we end up about where we started.

I think it's time for what most companies would refer to as a Periodic Review. Maybe I should take a day and re-prioritize.

There's a verse that touches on this in the book of Hebrews. "...And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds..." It's often quoted in relation to how we grow together, we keep each other strong, we pick each other up when we fall and we kick each other in the butt when we're being a screwball. I think a key word in there is consider.

I don't often consider...others. I don't often consider...long term consequences. I don't often consider...things that will change the course of my day, week, month... It's hard for me to think of others because I rarely set aside the time to actually think of others. It's nowhere on my agenda. You won't find it on my palm pilot. I wonder if I'd be better at that if I scheduled in some time to just sit and consider how to spur Steve on towards love and good deeds? I don't need to schedule in time to fix people....I do that on my own time. I need to spend time thinking about how to love Wes in ways that will matter to him.

I'm must better about just doing. I do stuff. I do what comes at me that needs doing. That's kind of how I go through my day. What needs to be done? Then I go do it. I take what life hands me. I'm not seizing the day...it's seizing me.

Because of this, life just kind of drifts by. Life happens...I get a little older...I have good conversations and bad ones...I watch some tv...read some books...and just kind of drift.

So maybe it's time for a little reflection. Possibly a life review is in order. It's time to re-prioritize...and to march forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment