Friday, May 05, 2006

love hate


They say the opposite of love isn't hate - it's indifference.









A great description of what God does to our struggles/problems/sins/foibles is that He separates them from us "as far as the East is from the West" On a globe, if you go North for long enough you end up going South...if you go East....you just keep going (no real point here...just talkin')

People often talk about vanilla and chocolate as though they're opposites.

Sweet and Sour

Black and White

Hot and Cold

The greatest baseball team of all time and the softball team I just watched. We had fun though. It's interesting to watch people just having fun while losing a game 22-5. I'm pretty sure that they really didn't care.

Horrible, horrible things happened on that field today. Still, they played on. Loading the bases with walks...and then walking in a few. The catcher throwing a slow roller to the pitcher (instead of first base), who then threw the ball into left field.

Somewhere Ty Cobb was crying (and making racist remarks at somebody while driving his sharpened, steel cleats into their leg)

I wonder how I would have done on that field. I wonder if I'd have given up...and just enjoyed playing. I could just sit back and enjoy the show....and every once in a while get to bat. That's one of the problems with baseball....you could literally play for hours and never catch or throw the ball. You could just hang out in right field and think pleasant thoughts. It's an incomplete sport because of this, I believe.

Wrestling is probably the opposite of baseball. You can't wear cleats, stand around, chew seeds, wear sunglasses, or yell out "can of corn" or "cup of cream cheese!" for no apparent reason.

I still don't quite get the infield fly rule...just let them play it out...they should bear the burden of popping up a ball in that situation.

That'll be part of my campaign speech for the commissioner of Major League Baseball....someday...oh yes...someday...

8 comments:

  1. runners on first and second, or first, second, and third, with less than 2 outs, a fair batted ball that can be caught by an infielder with reasonable effort...how much clearer does this need to be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with Stacy. Who is she?

    Murph, if you ever compare baseball to wrestlin' again, I will pretty much do nothing, but it will make me roll my eyes and say something under my breath about how that's a silly comparison...and then I'd probably write some dumb comment that is going nowhere. So, yeah, watch it buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, Stacy is a dude...

    The comment stands. (Call me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:43 PM

    now THAT was funny. don't know steve but am laughing out loud at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:19 PM

    I really thought we might end up friends one day, but now I just don't know. I mean you gotta picture of the bus up so you gotta be somewhat ok, but then you call the greatest metaphor for life, incomplete! INCOMPLETE! How can you say that? Have you ever personally every played a game? I mean a truly orgainzed game? I gotta call Rome! Ok, so your not a fan of baseball. No big deal. I don't even know who you really are, I mean I just read your blog when I'm procrastinating. What does that say about me?

    http://www.baseballaslife.mlblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. the greatest metaphor for life? Come on? baseball? What about football? One body, many parts...all working together as one unit...all at once. A quarterback as the head, the line as the unappreciated working stiffs, the flash of a wide receiver that's inconsistent, running backs that carry the ball - through the line, into the end zone....perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baseball is an art. I'm sure you think a day at the Guggenheim is a waste of time too.

    Oh Murph, I have so much to teach you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Baseball is like good sex.
    http://baseballaslife.mlblogs.com/a_fans_perspective/2006/03/10/index.html

    ReplyDelete