Sunday, May 07, 2006

live from the Dub C


So everybody played baseball or football or soccer or had tea parties when they were little.

A bunch of those people ended up playing something in High School.

A few of them went on to play that in college.

Just a handfull of people can say they've played professionally....unless it's baseball. (I probably have 7 neighbors who played in the minors...and one who happens to be the UFC champion of the World -someone from Mars comes here and wants to face our World's best...they're coming to Saratoga Farms)

I'd argue that there should be a sketch comedy hall of fame. It's much harder to get to the top level of sketch comedy. There are probably less than 100 people on SNL, Mad TV, the main stage of Second City, The Upright Citezens Brigade and the Groundlings combined.

The reality is...if you make it to the main stage at one of the smaller deals...you might have a shot at SNL. If they don't make it to that, then they go on Mad TV. So...you could argue that you could draw your Hall of Famers from SNL.

The problem here is all the folks screaming , "what about Monty Python?!"

relax, it's just a stupid list...

I'm just going to do my best of SNL list (you can argue whether or not that makes them the best overall amongst yourselves)

John Belushi - great presence, characters, eyebrow
Eddie Murphy - great characters, impressions
Martin Short - great characters
Dennis Miller - I just love his stand up...and I'm making the list
Dana Carvey - characters, impressions
Phil Hartman - great impressions, straight man
Mike Myers - great characters
Chris Farley - best physical humor ever
Will Farrell - made every skit better
Amy Poehler - by far the best female

and that's my top 10

But what about ______? you ask....I'll get to that list later.

13 comments:

  1. Shouldn't it be Dana Carvey - characters, impressions, & drummer

    and what about Al Frankin? Oh, sorry wrong list, nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin Short is not funny at all.

    Not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil Hartman? Really? And not Jimmy Fallon?

    You hit the nail on the head with Amy Poehler, though. Her performance last night was very funny. If her and Will Arnett aren't the funniest couple in Hollywood, I don't know who is...



    unless Rosie and Ellen shacked up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,
    you say it so defiantly. It's almost like you don't want to take a stand on some fairly solid issues - but on this one - "I WON'T HAVE IT!"

    Martin Short dominated for one season. He and Chevy were the only one season stars, and he was just much better than Chevy. You could argue his movies...and if you don't like Glick - but as the smoking, sweating lawyer who kept asking, "is it me? it's him right?" he was genius....and for weeks, all people wanted was Ed Grimley. He was also the star of SCTV, and known as a genius within the castmembers.

    Dan,
    Adam Sandler called Phil Hartman "Glue" because he held every sketch he was in together. He was like Darrell Hammond is now (with every impression) but he was also in skits where he wasn't doing an impression, and he was a genius straight man...and he was funny.
    There's a whole world of people out there with "I hate Jimmy" web sites. It's kind of scary, but their whole thing is that he was a bad Adam Sandler. I'm not going that far, because he could do great impressions....but I never really thought he was funny just doing his thing. Often, he was the only one laughing at himself...unless Horatio Sanz was anywhere near the stage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I want to know is where in the crap is A. Whitney Brown? I don't mean where is he on this list. I mean where is he period. Actually there should be a asterisk next to more than a couple of these names and at the bottom of the list it should say " * = Refer to A. Whitney Brown."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone needs to represent for the ladies - Gilda Radner was classic SNL. No list is complete without her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Murph,

    Your sarcasm radar is broken apparently.

    But seriously, no Tracy Morgan?


    As for Sandler calling Hartman the glue, I have a feeling he said that about him after he died.

    Not to make light of that.

    "Oh, Jimbo, I'm really gonna miss him. He was the nicest guy in the world."

    Really? Because he stole everyone's lunch money and punched my grandma in the nose. He was a complete jerk. But yeah, in retrospect, I guess you're right. We'll really miss ya, Jimbo."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan,
    the glue thing was his nickname when he was on the show...and you're right about me on the sarcasm thing. It's like I can speak French fluently...probably should be teaching it...but can't understand it when others use it.

    Dave,
    A. Whitney Brown had one hillarious deal he did on Update...and that was about it. I'm guessing he wrote all the funny sketches, but that aint getting him on.

    Marsha,
    Gilda was this close...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is wrong with ALL of you?? oh, yeah...you're YOUNG!

    Jane Curtain and Gilda Radner were THE BEST..
    Roseann..Roseannadana was classic! and what? no Chevy??

    If the rest of your blogs weren't so better than ok, I would...well, you know... let that be a lesson to you, young man..

    ReplyDelete
  10. sean,
    bettis' pic creeps me out on your blog. the way he is posed makes me feel like 'the bus' is saying what you typed...i mean dont get me wrong, i love him, but on nights like tonight when i am running on nothing - it seems like he's talking

    ReplyDelete
  11. What about Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jana,
    put down the pipe

    Jodi,
    Steve Martin was never a cast member - and, no offense but Dan Akroyd might be the least funny person on the planet. He was great at playing Nixon and doing salesmen characters...but he is just so unfunny that it creeps me out just thinking about him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess Steve was just on so many times (remembering his 5 times episode)boy don't I feel dumb now. Gilda Radner has always been my favorite....and Mike Meyers, love Mike Meyers.

    ReplyDelete