Tuesday, May 23, 2006

microwave love


toaster oven or microwave?

Clearly the toaster over makes better delicious treats... but the microwave oven beats it for best small kitchen appliance.

The toaster oven makes things crispy on the outside and warm on the inside. The microwave makes things warm on the inside and soft on the outside.

Clearly crispy on the outside is better, we'd all agree on that.

So why the microwave? It's faster. It's easier to clean....ergo, it's the best.

It's the same reason that McDonald's is the best restaurant. You can argue that the food is better at Damons (the real place for ribs) but you've been to McDonald's more than you've been to any 5 other food establishments. Maybe you don't think they have the best food...but you vote with your feet (or your car, in the drive thru lane) There will be many food critics in the drive thru lane of McDonald's today...probably with dark glasses on.

I love things that are fast. If I'm not in a hurry, and I'm just hanging out, I want to make something really quick so I can hurry up and sit on the deck and look at my sad, sad lawn/dirt. I want to quickly warm something up so I can play Grif in PIG (I should mention that I have a deadly outside shot from the sewer grate)

I'm fundamentally impatient. I hate lines. I hate it when I'm sitting around waiting for someone who cares more about what they're doing than what I'm doing...so they make me wait while they show up to stuff late. I also hate snakes (kind of off subject....although it's right on the "what Sean hates" subject)

I read somewhere that "...love is patient, kind, doesn't boast...." (probably heard it at a wedding or two) I wonder if they start with the patient one first because they know the impatient people aren't going to finish the sentence. "O.K., love is patient, love is kind....blah, blah, blah....alright, I get the point..."

Ultimately I get mad when people are late, or slow in line, because I love me. I love my time. I love my schedule. That doesn't always translate to me loving others. It's loving to consider other's schedule as important...and to be on time. It's not loving to get so wrapped up in it if they don't choose to care about my time. My pride makes me impatient. My pride gets so wrapped up in how others treat me.

Long lines will happen. People will get stuck in traffic. Life gets busy.

So I'm left with the question....if love is patient, does that mean I'd be more loving if I used the toaster oven - or better yet, cooked everything around a campfire?

6 comments:

  1. Watch the toxic rays from the microwave..toaster oven is safer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Watch them real close. You might have push you face against the glass to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love is best displayed around a camp fire. you know that is what paul had in mind when he said "love is patient." i don't think i can name a food that didn't taste better around a camp fire. so, love = camp fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you love most when you use a candle to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the funny thing is that even different microwaves vary in their ability to heat up food. the microwave at work nukes things much better (as in hotter and more quickly) than my (very cheap) microwave at home. sometimes i get the rude awakening of biting into cold food at home because i was expecting the workplace microwave results or scalding myself at work because i didn't give that microwave enough credit. so sad... i think i rely on microwave 'cooking' too often. oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Ultimately I get mad when people are late, or slow in line, because I love me. I love my time. I love my schedule. That doesn't always translate to me loving others. It's loving to consider other's schedule as important...and to be on time. It's not loving to get so wrapped up in it if they don't choose to care about my time. My pride makes me impatient. My pride gets so wrapped up in how others treat me."

    dude - this really spoke to me. this is one of the first time i've heard something like this concerning my issue with really demanding that certain people be on time with me. thanks for writing this - it's given me something important to think about.

    ReplyDelete