Wednesday, May 17, 2006

list wishin'


I'm a little confused by wish lists. I'm starting to see them pop up on people's blogs (and no, I'm not talking about yours) and am wondering if it's just an elaborate list of things they'd love to have - complete with pictures and links....or just blatant pandering for someone to buy them something.

I tend to resist registering for gifts. I love walking around the store with the bar code reader and zapping things...but it feels a little less giving/spontaneous/loving if I'm buying something for someone off a list they made for me. It's the ultimate example of just checking a box.

It's your birthday - check here and the gift will be sent to __________. Would you like us to send a loving note aw well? It's almost like I should just send them $30 on the day they're going to register, and tell them, "why don't you just buy something while you're there...and this way you'll be able to take it home with you"

So I've made lists on this blog before
- all time great actor - Hasslehoff
- all time great comedian - Saget
- all time great person/saint/genius - Oprah

but a list of things I want?
I'd like twenty dollars
I'd like fifty dollars
I'd like The Gospel in a Pluralistic Society
I'd like a second floor laundry
I'd like two hundred dollars
I'd like glasnost
I'd like Ed to come back on the air
I'd like reflection free glasses
I'd like a healthy baby girl
I'd like a mulching lawn mower (and someone to push it back and forth over my lawn)

I love a good list as much as the next guy (you should read his) so who am I to complain?

7 comments:

  1. i wish for the heat to win the eastern conference finals then i wish the heat to the world championship. its a couple of wishes. oh yeah, ill take a couple of hundred bucks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just mulched a lawn this morning....



    it's not nearly as good-looking as the smelly black stuff. in fact, it kinda looks like crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smelly black stuff, but it's expensive...and...you know....smelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:26 PM

    dan, you can come mow and mulch our yard, i'll buy you lunch and let you play steam roller and bronco with griffin and you can even babysit cooper while sean and i go out too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in.


    Only if you and Murph go to the Irish restaurant we all went to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. no mention of bob saget's birthday today?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wait, nevermind. i just read your previous post. why would i ever think you wouldn't mention that?

    ReplyDelete