Monday, May 22, 2006

Day off


It's 7 a m. I have the day off. Coincedentally, I also have a sunburn.

I spent the day carrying around heavy objects and giving little kids tickets at a block party yesterday. After five or six hours of that, there's nothing better than heading out and speaking to a group. (on the off chance that I have any emotional energy left over once my physical energy is left on a grassy field soaked in snow cones) By the time I came home I was dreaming of this day off.

So here are my plans. - Nada. Zip. Zilch. Playing with Griff after that. Playing in a fund raising golf tournament at noon (good to get out in the sun for five hours when you have a sun burn) and then I'm heading to a small group to speak to them about stuff that will change their group, their families, their friendships, and their very lives as well....or about my favorite Seinfeld episode. I'm guessing they'll want to hear about the second one, but no one will admit it.

And then I'm going to go home, go to sleep and dream of my next day off.

You'd think I would have figured out a better plan. I like that first half....but I'm awful at golf and it's not the best follow up to a day where I wreck my back and scald my forehead.

There's probably something to this whole idea of a Sabbath. The closest I get is when I see an Ozzie Osborne interview (too obscure a reference?)

Everyone feels too busy. I think part of it is people can be bad at prioritizing....and part of it is procrastination...and part of it is there's some sort of insecurity that people feel goes along with non-busyness.

I am busy = I am important.

Maybe I need to set up my hammock, send in my check for the tournament, have Adam fill in for me (he's really not awful at golf - he'd own Fuller) and see if my friend Darrel can go ahead and run that small group???

it'll never happen, but it's a nice thought.

3 comments:

  1. Ozzie Osborne... Black Sabbath, you say?


    that is an obscure reference Murph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not as obscure as you might think. My 10 year old (Levi) asked me if I could play the intro to Crazy Train a couple of days ago. I said, "Sure, that's pretty easy." He then informed me that he wants a guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy,

    I hear you man... I wish there could be some way of communicating sarcasm more effectively over the world wide web.

    Has Levi asked for a pet bat yet?

    ReplyDelete