Friday, May 19, 2006

the big stuff


Major in the majors and minor in the minors....let's not get wrapped up in the trivial stuff...let's zero in on what's most important....keep our eyes on the prize....go down if you're hurt.
I've heard them all.

Brennan Manning talks about a couple that won $111,000,000 in a powerball jackpot. Apparently you get 180 days to claim your prize after a lottery drawing. Brennan imagines the possibility of them saying, "let's go claim it after the Brewer's game" They get so wrapped up in the game that they say the same thing the next day. Pretty soon they're engrossed in a pennant chase and the deadline passes them by.

How would you judge them? Foolish? Brennan agrees...and says that he'd also have compassion and understanding. He's done the same thing...only he's passed up his fortune seeking alcohol. His point isn't the evils of alcohol, it's that he's missed so much seeking after so little.

The enemy of the best is often good.

We forfeit the stuff that should be our top priority for stuff that might be very good....but it's not the best. It's easy to rationalize good stuff. You can point to it and no one will argue that it's good. "He treats me better than anyone I've ever dated" "at least I'll be able to help people with this job" "maybe I'll get on the Price is Right"
I hear it all the time.
I say it all the time.

There are some things in my life that I just know are more important than others. Typically, though, I'll pick what I want to do. It's just an added bonus if what I want to do is a good thing.

I lose out on the fortunes of life chasing after the brief glimpses of mediocrity. Time to take a few minutes and re-re-prioritize...

3 comments:

  1. Getting on the Price is Right is "best" my friend. Name something better...and don't start in with all that Jesus stuff.

    ReplyDelete