Sunday, January 15, 2006

Symbol disobedience


When we bought our first house, There was a flagpole out front. I took it down. It just looked kind of stupid. The pole was bigger than the house (which isn't saying much) My aunt had just read "The Greatest Generation" (which I didn't get a vote on, by the way) and was appalled that I would take away this opportunity to put up an American Flag. "what are you, a commie?"
I'm just not much for flags...sorry.
-A while ago I was playing the -let's see who can make their wedding ring spin for longer- game with a friend, and you would have thought I was shaking a baby- based on the reaction of several people in the area. "THAT'S YOUR WEDDING RING!"
They couldn't understand that it was a symbol of my love for Annie, and not my love for Annie, that I was spinning so well across the table (the key is to get a flat and wide ring)
-I think it's odd when people burn flags. It's this moment where they express their anger for this country that gives them the freedom - to voice their opinion when they burn the flag...the symbol of the freedom they have to burn the flag. It's the drunk guy who says, "I love you baby" right before he punches her.
-It's also a little...um.....not sure how to describe how I feel when someone goes nuts when they see someone burn a flag. "THAT'S YOUR FLAG!" It's a symbol of our freedom....it's not our freedom. (send your hate mail to Dave Wolfenberger).
If people want to burn the symbol of their freedom to burn the symbol....can't we just point and laugh? They're just being dumb and ironic at the same time. I see flags that are dirty, tattered, left in garages and rotting....and it's o.k. It's a symbol that's getting dirty in the garage...that's all.
-People wear crosses all the time that aren't trying to convey the instrument of death that the cross represents. It just makes them feel religousy (it's a word). I've talked with lots of folks who had no idea that the cross was a symbol of God's love for us - dying to pay a death penalty for our junk. That's o.k. They just didn't know. I sometimes wonder if Jesus came today...and he loves us enough to pay our price, died on the electric chair...if folks would be wearing electric chairs around their necks.
-O.K., I'm a little off topic. I think we sometimes get too wrapped up in stuff. I love my name. It's sort of a symbol of me....kind of. It helps people get my attention in crowds. "Hey you" just doesn't work as well when there are dozens of people around. I like to feign irritation when people misspell my name...but it's just a name....it's not me. It's just something you can write to and point at....and people know who you're talking about.
It doesn't matter that much....does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment