Friday, January 06, 2006

Buzz Beer


I sort of feel the same way about coffee as I do about beer. I understand that people love them...and I know that either of them can change your mood, energy level and health. It's just the idea of spending more than $2 on a beverage kills me. I've taken to drinking coffee at work lately, primarily because it's free. I like the taste. I guess some of the coffee shops have better tasting coffee...but to pay an extra $3 or $4 because it comes in a cool looking cup with a little wrap around thingy that keeps your hand from getting burnt? I'm just not there.
Pretentious? Hmmmm...
Baristas?
I guess I'd pay more if I had to order the coffee in sizes that don't make sense to the uninitiated... I'd pay extra just knowing that I know the "secret code". It's not a high school kid making minimum wage that I'm buying my coffee from...he's a BARISTA! That's not a large coffee you're buying...that's a VENTI!

I've been told that White Castles has some of the best coffee in town. It didn't make much sense to me because...it's White Castles. Then they explained that since it's open 24 hours a day..and they get people in at 4 AM, they just decided that their coffee would be the best. It's just that truck drivers wont pay $4 for coffee...and they definitely won't call a large a Venti, because they're not too wrapped up in the superficials...they just want some good coffee.
If White Castle put a cool logo on their cup, wrapped a piece of paper around it, stopped selling smelly burgers, and gave Italian names to their drinks...they could really make a run at the pretentious beverage market.
It's 89 cents for a coffee over here, or I can pay $4.25 for a Venti over there...hmm....which has the cooler looking cup? And the longer line? I'll be right there...just let me run to the bank machine real quick...

2 comments:

  1. actually- a venti coffee from starbucks is only 1.89 way under 2 bucks. and i work at starbucks part time now and im not a high school boy making minimum wage. if i just worked at starbucks i would make way more then staff:) just fyi

    ReplyDelete
  2. White Castles has some killer sweet tea also. Starbucks puts something else in there because for some reason it tastes way better than any coffee...it's magic I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete