Monday, January 23, 2006

3 day weekend


I've often said I'm not one for vacations. I get too antsy. I need to be at least partially engaged in some sort of activity...and laying around the beach just doesn't do it for me. I'm also not a big fan of Disney. I like the regional parks with the better rides. Anyhow, I wasn't on a beach, at Epcot or on the Beast this weekend.

I was in the bathroom.

And then Griff started getting sick. It's amazing how guilty and sad you feel when your five year old gets sick because of you. And now Annie is getting sick. It's a scary feeling when your pregnant wife gets sick. And it all started with me.

I was talking with a friend lately about how some people tend to breathe life into a room. They can't help but make the people around them feel better. I have these obsessive moments where I tell everyone around me that they need to (fill in the blank) because I think it's the greatest thing ever (have you ever tried Rain X?) That's about as close as I ever come. I end up being an infomercial salesman for whatever I think is great. Not so much about lifting people up as lifting my ideas or things I'm excited about up...

It's just not the same. I'm more into my thing, or something...and not someone. I end up not breathing life into rooms because I'm too into myself. It's hard to breathe life into someone when you're focused on yourself. It just is.

It's one of those truths like, -it's hard to both hate and pray for someone at the same time. It might not be absolute truth...but it sure seems to work out that way.

So maybe I should feel bad/guilty when I walk into a room and people feel worse...it's just like being around my 5 year old and him getting sick because he came into contact with me.

Maybe that shouldn't be my focus. Maybe it should be that I'd feel better by walking into a room and helping to lift the spirits of those around me?

or maybe it's the medication talking...

1 comment:

  1. I just want you to know that you really lifted my spirits that night we had dinner and you picked up the check. Really lifted my spirits.

    ReplyDelete