Saturday, January 07, 2006

compassion for the rich


I think most of us would say that money isn't the answer. Obviously people believe it's the answer....but most people are smart enough to not say that out loud.
I talked with a guy the other day who was talking about how sad it was that his brother and sister in law were the legal gaurdians of their little sister. (his sister in law's sister) He said, "They had all the money in the world. We didn't have much money at all....but we had love."
If money doesn't fix life....and isn't the point....then maybe it's possible to even have compassion for folks with lots of money.
I know there are people who will just die reading that. They've hated rich people all their lives...They'll say that rich people are evil while they scratch their lottery tickets...but it's been my observation that rich people can be as miserable or even more miserable than poor people. I have a friend who qualifies for all sorts of government help (housing, food stamps...) and claims none of it. He's one of the happiest guys you'd ever want to know. His father in law own three companies and is a multi multi milionaire....and he's miserable. He's just not a happy guy.
I don't think he's the only unhappy millionaire...and I don't think my friend is the only happy person living in relative poverty (we don't know real poverty in this country...from what I hear)
So -
Should we ignore the needs of the rich because they have this one tangible thing?
maybe?
Or if we believe that everybody has needs beyond money...should we judge someone with a few extra bucks as a rich jerk? Should we care for the rich?
taken out of context...this could be really misconstrued...
Anyhow, I was just thinking about this poor girl that grew up in a home with lots of money and no love...and for a second...I think I felt a bit of compassion
just a bit though...I'm no fanatic

No comments:

Post a Comment