Sunday, March 05, 2006

Awards


I don't have much to say about the Academy Awards. I know that real artists don't really enjoy turning their art into some sort of competition...but I'm no artist...so.... I will say that I really liked Crash. Thought it was interesting story telling...solid acting...good movie. I was a little confused by Matt Dillon's nomination though. I didn't see any of the other movies because we see about one movie every 2 or 3 months and those are often cartoons.

My awards would look something like this:

Murph's Best Picture of all time goes to...Schindler's List. I had just worked 11 hours, my brother picked me up with special preview tickets to a Steven Spielburg movie...that's all I knew. I was crazy tired. In the car he mentioned that the movie was over three hours. Then he said that it was a drama...in black and white. I begged him to turn the car around...but it held my attention for three hours....and was incredible. That's gotta be the best picture.

Best song of all time goes to...The Duke of Earl. You hear it once and it's in your head for the next decade....in a good way.

Best tv show about surgeons serving during the Korean war - M*A*S*H

Best movie that was based on a tv show - Mission Impossible 2 (I guess that's not saying much though)

Best Rocky - Rocky

Most entertaining Rocky - Rocky III

Best fight in a Rocky movie - Rocky II

Worst movie ever - Rocky V

Best Woody Allen movie - Annie Hall

Worst movie with my wife's name in it - Annie

I kept hearing about ground breaking movies and why movies that maybe are predictable, used a tried and true formula...but have a gimmick, are applauded. Here's my idea:

A romantic comedy where two people start out as friends. The guy secretly (at least to the girl) likes the girl...but she just loves being his friend....or does she? She has a boyfriend and he doesn't treat her that well. You can just tell that they're not made for each other. She starts to realize that she's really in love with her friend and breaks it off....only to find out that he's now dating the girl she kept insisting he ask out!
She gets jealous. They fight. One night he's out with his new girlfriend, she mentions a book that she thought was overrated...he thinks of the other girl....apologizes and breaks it off with her, "It's not you...I just realized that I've made the biggest mistake of my life"
she understands - that way he's not a bad guy.
He rushes out to find her...at a train station...."All aboard" He sprints after the train! He's missed it!
Or did he?
Yup

But it turns out that she couldn't get on the train! She's right behind him. They embrace. They share their first kiss! They hear, "all aboard" and they share a laugh together. And then she punches him in the face and says, "I think you have some explaining to do!"
...and he just smiles knowingly as they fade to credits...

No comments:

Post a Comment