Wednesday, March 22, 2006

movin on...


I wonder what's so attractive about the next thing?

I know that my neighbor's grass is always greener - but that wouldn't be very hard with my lawn.

I had calls about two jobs a few weeks ago. It's not that job openings are that rare - it's just that I was called by four different people about two specific jobs that they thought I should take. Three friends, that know me better than most, called me about one job that a few years ago I would have considered a dream job. There are one or two things I sort of know, or don't completely fail in...and those areas of mediocrity were key components of these jobs. I have a very small bit of a reputation in these fields and wouldn't have to work that hard to earn the right to be heard. I could take immediate risks because of this. I'd have a little more room to fail because of this.
It's pretty attractive to think about.

The grass out there is pretty green.
I should mention that I'm not applying for or pursuing either of these possibilities. I just have some guys that periodically call me and tell me to take them. "Get behind me Santa!" I always yell...you know because Santa is always trying to get you to take things...

My point isn't the jobs....it's the possibility of something new.

I get excited when I get something new that will help me get more organized, or in better shape, or learn something. It's almost like I'm buying organization, good health or knowledge. The problem is that I often leave the gizmo or book on a shelf somewhere. The initial excitement of possibility is often more important than the mundane task of incorporating the object, discipline or information into my life.

Do you have any unopened or unused objects, clothes, books or gizmos in your house?

Do you remember when you just had to have them? Did you have a moment where you were sure that whatever it was...it was going to help?

So who cares about job possibilities? Who cares about the next greatest thing to come out to make your life simpler, more efficient, and better?

Wouldn't it be great to just concentrate on where you are and what you've been given?

Maybe I could work on my lawn today...and try to get it a little greener...

No comments:

Post a Comment