Tuesday, March 28, 2006

the big one


I met face to face with arrogance the other day.

I was amazed by how full of himself this guy was. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's born out of insecurity...he was beat up as a kid, could never get the girl, was picked last in sports.

The end result is just socially awkwardness masked as calm, cool, control. I wanted to say, "I get it. You make a lot of money. Nice.... You have thoughts, ideas and an agenda...but you're really not that smart. It's o.k. You're pretty smart. You're just not that amazing. We're all going to work together. If your idea isn't the one we go with...it'll be all right.

C.S. Lewis wrote a great chapter about this very subject. He likens pride to "the great sin"

"...I pointed out a moment ago that the more pride one had, the more one disliked pride in others. In fact, if you want to find out how proud you are the easiest way is to ask yourself, “How much do I dislike it when other people snub me, or refuse to take any notice of me, or shove their oar in, or patronise me, or show off?” The point is that each person’s pride is in competition with every one else’s pride. It is because I wanted to be the big noise at the party that I am so annoyed at someone else being the big noise." - C.S. LEWIS

WAIT A SECOND!
is he talking about me?
what's that all about?

maybe that's something I need to think about...

4 comments:

  1. that chapter stings every time i read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oddly enough, i rarely dislike people. but when i do it always turns out that they are identical to me in several ways...and oh! the pride thing! if i ever meet my pride i will kick its ass-what trouble it causes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it that a dead guy still kicks my butt on a continual basis?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean,

    For the first time ever, I am making a real comment on your blog, and not some sarcastic remark.

    That is a great quote.

    ReplyDelete