Tuesday, March 07, 2006

safety second


It occurred to me today that I have no idea where the closest hospital is. I could walk to the hospital in State College...but here, I'd have to break out the yellow pages (do we even have the yellow pages?) and then call around, get directions, and then try to not get lost. So in case of emergency...I'm going to be in trouble. "Daddy, I fell out of the tree and landed on my elbow, snapping it into 17 pieces...can you take me to the hospital?" "Um, sure...let me just go and find that phone book...have you seen it?

Maybe I'll just go online. Do you know where daddy's laptop is?"

"Daddy, I'm feeling a little light headed"

I took cpr with a group of coaches once. The guy running the class handed one of the coaches a video and asked him to pass it around. He then said, "OK, you've all just seen the video, let's take the test" He then proceeded to give us all the answers to the test. Honestly, we never were at a practice or game without some sort of medical personnel...so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I decided to find the nearest hospital today....and I still don't know cpr (15 and 1?) but I'm taking steps. Sometimes planning ahead isn't such a bad thing.

3 comments:

  1. Come move into the house. There are hospitals everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you asking me to move in with you!?! What about Adam?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He thinks he is too cool for us. But not you - you know the truth.

    ReplyDelete