Monday, March 20, 2006

name tags for everyone!


Lighthouses are a symbol of safety. Olives represent martinis (to me at least) and Teddy Bears are a picture of childhood innocence.

Icon's are interesting. I sat through a class once that talked about memory. Turns out that we all remember things as pictures. If you try to remember the word ketchup - you'll picture a bottle of ketchup. When you think of a chair, you visualize some sort of chair (I think of my new massage chair with built in heater - jealous - you should be...until Grif finally breaks it)

I've sat through classes, read books, listened to books and lectures on tape... all so that I could develop a better memory. I meet a few dozen people every week. Usually one or two a day, and then there's always a few meetings where I'll meet a bunch of people at once. You'd think that if I took all these classes and read all these books that I'd be able to remember at least one name a week.
You'd be wrong.

I don't.

I make Annie, Grif and Coop wear nametags.

I constantly refer to myself as Sean Michael Murphy so I'll keep all of my names out there and not forget one.

I've learned to call people dog, chief, cap'n, dude, man, friend, sis, el conquistador and your royal highness - so I don't have to admit that I don't know their names.

Is that bad?

I think so. People love their names...they look your way when they hear them. They know that you know them when you use their names.

Maybe it's my A.D.D. and it's just too hard for me to concentrate on someone's name while I'm thinking about what the difference between jelly and jam is???

I wish you could upgrade your memory at Best Buy. I'd sell my foosball tables for something like that...

3 comments:

  1. so THAT'S why you called me "Your Royal Highness" everytime you tried to play me in beans.



    "If what we call love doesn't take us beyond ourselves, it is not really love. If we have the idea that love is characterized as cautious, wise, sensible,shrewd, and never taken to extremes, we have missed the true meaning." -Oswald Chambers

    ReplyDelete
  2. El conquistador means, "The conquistador."

    ReplyDelete
  3. you see there...that's why you teach communications.
    well done cap'n

    ReplyDelete