Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Progress?


seems like an arrogant name..."we're progressive"

"we have evolved"

"we're smarter than people who don't think like us...we don't like those who have closed minds...who don't think like us....we're not like the people who try and impose their values and opinions on everyone else...we're better than those who don't think like us....we celebrate diversity and you'd better do the same thing"

I get that republicans don't have all the answers...neither do democrats, the seven people in the green party, the ACLU, NRA, UN or the NBA....I just worry when one party takes on the mantle of "we've evolved...we're better than you...we think on a higher level...we've progressed..."

We're just trying to make progress, is that so bad?

No - just go do it...stop telling everyone else that they both, have to think like you, and have to have an open mind....pick one and go with it.

please

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:09 PM

    Sean, wanna share what inspired this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. a friend of mine indirectly inspired this.

    He writes a great blog - I don't always agree, but I like his writing. Anyhow, I always feel like if I'm going to respond to something with more than a couple of hundred words - I'll just send it directly to the person via e-mail...or end up writing something on this.
    It wasn't a direct response so I didn't send an e-mail or comment...but his blog got me thinking.
    for some reason I really despise the word "got" - but often find myself using it....I'm goofy like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that anyone that reads the last comment...and also has a blog of their own - will assume I was talking about them....

    I'm not

    unless you're Justin Masterson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Hard to imagine how a word that means, to move forward, to improve could be misconstrued as a negative. Meanwhile the conservatives have, somewhat sucessfully, managed to sell the idea that criticism of this president is unpatriotic if not treasonous. To quote Theodore Roosevelt "To announce that there be no criticism of the president or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you missed my point entirely...it's not the word progress - it's the arrogance of "we've moved beyond your thinking - we've ascended"

    it's crazy that the people doing all the criticizing - are so adamant about how we shouldn't criticize any group - no matter what they do.

    They go crazy calling people judgmental, ignorant and close minded - because they're close minded to THEIR agenda

    it's so obviously ironic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:05 AM

    Go Connie, I couldn't have said it better myself. Really, I couldn't have...

    ReplyDelete