Friday, March 10, 2006

old school


I heard today that Gregorian chants are coming back. So is responsive reading, symbols, and hymns.
I'm just not there. It's ironic that I don't like a lot of the symbols of what I've mistakenly called "dead church". I use these things as symbols of what I never really liked. I sat through a few dozen services where people didn't really seem engaged in what was happening, short services were celebrated, and it was painfully obvious that people were just checking the church box. The thing is...people do the same thing at church's with great music, engaging sermons, relevant topics and cool atmosphere. If they're connected to the body of the believers...then they engage in what's happening....if not...then they're probably just checking a box. Who knows?
Singing new songs with a coffee in your hand and a pair of jeans on your legs can be just as tedious as mouthing back some line from a responsive prayer. It just looks a little more hip/cool/relevant...
I do know that I sat in an hour long meeting today talking about a radio commercial for a church. I've also been in a few meetings where we spent a lot of time discussing the signage. I'm convinced that signs, commercials and ad's aren't really the answer. Relationships seems like where it's at. I understand the need for signs. I get that it helps. I know that if you're going to have signs...you might as well make them great signs. They're sort of like sending out e-mails. I hate e-mails because they're just a superficial way to communicate. I also send them daily. I don't like signs - because it's 1000 times more effective to get people talking...but I also make them.

I guess signs and e-mails are only bad if they totally replace human interaction. If we only send out e-mails and put up signs...and then wonder why people aren't showing up at our meetings...then I'd say that we don't get it. They're to help supplement - but shouldn't be the primary means of communication. That's all I'm saying. Church can be bad if you're just checking the box and there are no real relationships being developed...and signs can be bad if they replace our best advertising...word of mouth.

Of course blogs are the greatest thing ever...it's how I talk to a bunch of people without actually having to talk to a bunch of people...

No comments:

Post a Comment