Saturday, September 17, 2005

hangin with my homies


I used to walk up to my TV and turn the dial to one of the three channels whenever I wanted to watch something. There were two weird channels that were on a different dial...and I'd have to twist that around - more like a radio I was trying to tune in. If the channels weren't very clear, I'd adjust the antennae.
Now I'll spend ten minutes walking around the room looking for the remote. I'll walk right by the TV (and all of it's many buttons) and get mad that I can't find the portable button thingy. Once I find the remote, it takes me 3 minutes to turn to each of the 75 channels to see if there is even one thing on that will hold my interest.
-
I have cable internet access and it really bothers me if I have to wait 3 seconds for my e-mail to pop up. I couldn't believe the difference between a dial up modem and this cable one...it's like night and day. The funny thing is, it took me about twenty minutes to get used to....and then I was spoiled. I have friends who say they're too impatient for e-mail...so they only do I.M. Mailing a letter to them is insane...
-
If you ever see me next to an elevator...wait 10 seconds...and you'll notice that I continue to push the button that's already lit. I really feel like that hurries it up. I do the same thing with those cross walk buttons.
-
It drives my wife nuts that I have to turn the channel during commercials. I just have to. Who wants to watch commercials? And who has the patience to sit through them until their show pops back up?
-
I sometimes wonder how to build up a tolerance for waiting.... It's sort of like building a tolerance to alcohol....or like the guy who built up a tolerance to poison in The Princess Bride. Maybe if I tried a little patience tomorrow....and a little more the next day...and pretty soon, I could put other people's schedules, concerns and emergencies ahead of my own. Pretty soon I could be like one of those old guys that hangs out at somebody else's work...and just kind of hangs out. They don't work there, but everyone knows them. They just like to hang out.
I'd like to like to hang out.
that'd be a good thing to like to do...worth a shot...

No comments:

Post a Comment