Friday, September 23, 2005

blog for the youth...the little ones...the kiddies

It's funny how quickly I get used to goofy names. I rarely think about how weird the name "Young Life" is. It sounds like an insurance company. And "campaigners" is just a goofy name...but we can't seem to get away from it. I used to say that if a Youth Director is referring to H.S. students as "the Youth" they probably aren't hanging out with them. If you did, it just seems like you'd know better. I've always bought into the whole concept of "learning their language and culture" - it just makes sense. That's why it kills me to hear "youth"
I guess I'm kind of hung up on it.
And at the same time, I talk about running a "club" that doesn't have members...
I know it'd be silly to talk with someone about "justification" or "sanctification" and just assume they know what I'm talking about. I fall into that every once in a while. I wonder sometimes where the line between trying to impress people with my etymological skills....and just not being a very good communicator.
I bring this up because just like people don't hear "youth" outside of the church setting, or "campaigners" outside of the Young Life setting....I don't really understand what "off the chain" means...
"off the hook" I understand....but the chain?
I'm pretty sure I can still get by with "that's cool" and even the occasional "awesome" if it's said with the right inflection...but anything that ends with "izzy" just makes my head hurt.
is that so wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment