Thursday, August 31, 2006

Gracious


It's football season again. I'm always amazed at how much people know about football. I'm in a fantasy football league and I tend to get a little depressed during the draft. At some point I'll hear a couple of guys arguing about the second string guard for San Diego and how he has a cold...and so they're not going to be able to run the ball as well, because they're stretch play was led by him. I usually follow that conversation by asking, "what's the great commission?" "who is your congressman?" "What's the last book you read?"

I'm a jerk.

I love football, but there's got to be some kind of limit. I played, I coached, and I just don't care that much about it. I'll watch it when I can. I'll talk smack even when I have no idea what I'm talking about. It's just football. Should I study it?

There's a guy I work with that knows way too much about football. He can give you stats, injury reports, player's gossip....he knows it all. The one thing I really appreciate about him is that he understands the game and he's gracious when his team loses (which they did two out of the three times they played my team last year). He doesn't spend fifteen minutes talking about how my coach had an x-ray of a players leg up on the bulletin board so he can show his team where to hit it to break it (another guy I work with explained that to me).

He says things like, "your team played a good game". He even shakes my hand like we're 70.

I'm more like the rest of the excuse giving world that argues every loss. (luckily I don't have to do that a whole lot....although I'm a Pirates fan....but who cares? it's baseball)

"We would have won if...." "but you're player is a big meany!" "wait 'til next year...or the next one...." "after 20 years of getting the #1 pick, you'd think we'd be good by now"

Nobody likes the person on Celebrity Fit Club that's always making excuses. It's annoying when people never follow through....except with an excuse.

I don't want to make excuses. I don't want to focus so much of my life/brain/time on stuff that ultimately doesn't matter (I'm not saying I'm not going to watch football, after all - Griff signed up for his first league this morning).

I want to be a gracious loser (if I ever get a chance).

I want to be gracious in general...full of grace, that wouldn't be so bad would it?

then maybe I'd stop judging all the guys on my fantasy football league...
(did I mention I got the #1 kicker!? Saget will rule my league this year)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:52 AM

    I signed up with a Fantasy Football league for the first time this year. Our draft was a couple nights ago. I don't know squat about who's mother's dog got pnemonia and so they are having emotional trauma and can't concentrate as well to run the ball. So I googled "Fantasy Football who to pick" and found out that there were cheat sheets out there. Su-wheet. When it was my turn to pick I just chose the next guy on the list.

    ReplyDelete