Thursday, August 24, 2006

right


What's more important - being right, or making something right? I have a friend who worships being right. It's all that's important to him (and myself, much of the time) He puts it over relationships, family, work...everything.

"But this is right!" is something you'd often hear from him.

Do you know someone that's brutally blunt...to the point of really insulting people? The folks I know (often myself again) rationalize it by saying, "well, it's the truth". It's an interesting argument...should being right - give you the right to just unload "truth" on people?

I'm not saying that we should lie. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be honest with the people in your life. I'm just saying that making your mission in life - to tell people about everything wrong in theirs....might be a crappy way to live.

This isn't a Yay!-diversity - every way of living is great, just you be you kind of message (would we be all about diversity of thought with the nazi, rapist, child abductor?). I'm not sure that that's the solution. I'm just saying that sometimes relationships are more important than me being right.

I'd love to be a friend that spurs people on - and I know that can hurt at times....but more often, I'm thinking that that's about encouraging and pointing to greatness, not other's weakness.

what do I know?

3 comments:

  1. i also think that you're absolutely right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post couldn't be any more wrong than it is. It would literally be impossible.

    ReplyDelete