Tuesday, August 15, 2006

retirement


I just can't look forward to retirement. It just seems like this empty promise (in a long string of empty promises).

I was golfing with some friends at a country club yesterday and couldn't help but ask, "Is this really it? This is what everybody talks about someday doing? Golf?"

There were friends out on the course. We had people driving around with free drinks and snacks. We had golf carts and prizes...I just can't imagine golf being much better (I even hit a couple of putts) but that's it? I heard these two guys talking about retiring. One guy said, "Yeah, you'll be out there golfing everyday a long time before I do". It was so ingrained into their conversation that golf equaled retirement that the other guy knew exactly what he was describing.

I get that not everybody loves their job. I understand the allure of sitting around and watching Oprah while complaining about how cold it is. Moving to the south with nicer warmer does seem like it could be great...but that's it?

I don't want to spend my life putting together a plan for the last 10 years. I don't want to live in the hope of my golden years. I'd rather spend my life doing something that is so meaningful, life changing and satisfying that to retire would be an incredible disappointment.

I want to look forward to waking up. I want to see the lives around me changed. I want to be a difference maker...and I just don't give a crap about going out and trying to hit a 3 iron.

I understand that people love their hobbies. I just don't want to spend my life longing for more of that. Ultimately, it just falls flat. The older folks that seem to be enjoying their life are the folks that are still living for something more meaningful than their golf handicap.

There was a sociological study done with people over the age of 95. The survey asked them, if you could do life over again what would you do differently?
The Top 3 answers:
1. Reflect more
2. Risk more
3. Do more that will live on after I'm gone

I'd rather start working on those things now - than regret now doing them later...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:36 PM

    To live a life without regret is what everyone probably wants.

    "The older folks that seem to be enjoying their life are the folks that are still living for something more meaningful than their golf handicap."

    Living our lives for eternity is what will live on after we're gone. Living a life of meekness and love before God and others.

    ReplyDelete