Tuesday, August 29, 2006

instant success


I stopped eating bad stuff and now feel perfectly fine. I'm in perfect health. I also stopped being a jerk and now everyone loves me. I stopped wasting money and now I'm rich. I stopped throwing stuff wherever I wanted and now my house and car are always clean.

Isn't life great!?

I knew a guy in college that was a complete screw up. He went to a conference one day, decided to clean up his life....and then was shocked when people didn't want to work with him right away. "I'm a different guy now" He really thought that that would fix everything.

Years and years of being a lazy, unreliable jerk would be completely forgotten about now that he was a "different guy".

Wouldn't it be great if you could not only erase all of your old mistakes, but also the consequences? Wouldn't it be great if when you had a real change of heart, people immediately knew it. That way you wouldn't have to re-earn their respect...or their faith in you.

Life isn't like that. You have to work at something for awhile before you start to see change...and even longer before others do.

I'm not that concerned about having others see a difference in my health (I just want the incredible pain and feeling like I'm going to see lunch twice to go away). I am concerned that folks know when I'm sorry or have seen their point and changed the way I think about something. I want them to know my sincerity and not doubt it for sarcasm.

I mostly want The Office to come back on.

3 comments:

  1. knew you were probably thrilled when the office won an emmy the other night. i just don't get that show...sad, but true.

    sorry to hear you are in so much pain murph. but so glad you know what the problem is (and how to fix it - even if it happens slowly). remember all those years when you had no idea what was wrong. i remember that being scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel much better now. For a minute I thought I was the guy in college you were talking about (I'm so vain)... Then I remembered i never went to a conference in college, and I'm still a screw-up.

    I'll sleep better tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even remember the guy's name...but I remember his incredulousness (it's a word) about nobody wanting him on their team...
    I'm still a screwup too

    ReplyDelete