Wednesday, August 02, 2006

birthday card lost in the mail...


I thought to myself, "it's been about a year now, I should write about my year of blogging. I'll look at the date of my first blog and then do an anniversary edition" and then I realized that I'd missed it by 4 days.

Oops

I've written somewhere between 300-400 posts. My first one was a haiku about Bruce Willis....I then posted a random picture of Griff and then wrote some actual words that weren't in haiku. (a shame really)

I started it to see how many hits I could get (24,000 and counting - half by me I'm sure) and now I just keep the counter on here to bug Dan.

I've had 3,118 profile views (so close to my goal of 3,120 to match the number of hits by Roberto Clemente plus 120) and I think that represents the different people that have looked at this so far. This might also mean that my couch is on fire...I really have no idea.

The blog is an interesting thing. There were a couple of days where I'd write 8 or 9 things just to see if I could. I pretty much wrote something every day with a few exceptions and then followed Steve in taking the weekends off.

Some of my favorite posts were largely ignored (if you go by comments) and some of my throwaways spurred on 30 plus comment wars. You just never know. I wrote about politics, my family, sports, faith, slice of life-day to day living, and Bob Saget. I wrote one in the style of an postmodern, emergent traveler and many as a sardonic truth teller. I asked a bunch of questions, struggled through a few answers and always tried to point to Hasselhoff.

I hope to keep writing. I have goals. I'd like to talk more about Oprah. I'd like to have more guest columnists. I'd like to include song lyrics so that I'll be seen as either sensitive or deep. I'd like to have lots of people then ask the paranoid question, "is he saying this about me because I put lyrics in my blog?"

I know there are thousands of people starting up new blogs every day. They write a post or two...take a few weeks off...then write a blog about how they haven't written in a while so they're going to start again....and that's usually the last one they write.

I've had people ask me why I'd want to write something and put it out there. Part of the reason for me is the discipline of just writing something every day (unless you follow slacker Steve). I wonder if people ask columnists why they write for newspapers....poets why they write poetry....artists why they paint....skateboarders why they skate. Maybe it's because they want people to appreciate their work, words, art or moves. Maybe it's just something that's fun to do...and putting it out there to be consumed on some level just heightens it a bit...Maybe.

As for me, I just do it for the swag I get from Hasselhoff and Saget... and hopefully soon Oprah...

3 comments:

  1. I do find it interesting why so many people are so anti-blogging. Or why people get so upset by things people write on their blogs. Or why more people don't post song lyrics to impress the girls.

    We may never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:14 PM

    Die Hard 4 just announced - coming out next year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:43 PM

    Nice recap. I know what you mean about blogging for swag. I just signed a deal with Tony Hawk for a free copy of Pro Skater XXV when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete