Friday, September 01, 2006

sarcasm....drip, drip, drip


Dear Anonymous,
I've always admired your candor and the carefree expression of your innermost thoughts. I've also noticed that being anonymous frees you up to not have to filter what you're saying. I've met a few people like you in the past, they're freed up to say and do whatever pops into their minds. You love those folks who left no thought unexpressed, especially when it's through an unsigned note.

Sure, there are those that think blasting someone's thoughts anonymously is sort of a cowardly thing to do, but I'm going to stand up for your right to lob insults from afar. I think there's even something to be admired about someone who arrives under the veil of darkness and leaves a little verbal pipe bomb in someone's e-mailbox.

I know there are people who back their words up with their name - and they take accountability for their words - but who needs that kind of hassle? How are you expected to totally change your mind without feeling stupid because you were dumb enough to put a name next your idea? It's insane.

Accountability is overrated. Anonymity is the new answerability.

Imagine a nameless/faceless society where everything was done over the phone or internet and nobody really interfaced at all!

Bravo anonymous, for inspiring us all with your wisdom. Thank you for your witty little remarks. Bless you my child, whomever you are, for your insight into conversations previously left unresolved!

and man, do you get around...

8 comments:

  1. I loved this one. Good for you. Bravo.
    This is Aunt Peggy...your Father's sister...your children's great Aunt. Your Mom's sis-in-law....Annie's 8th best friend...Your biggest fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. peggers - you forgot jana's BEST friend
    i have reverted back to 2nd grade and i am ranking my best friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's sweet. may i repost at my blog?

    this story about radio shack confirms we are headed toward a society of isolationists...

    isn't anonymity the logical result of a highly individualistic society?

    ReplyDelete
  4. An unsigned post, letter, note, or comment is like a drive-by shooting. In our church if a comment is not signed, it does not get delivered a staff member. I love that! Funny, when we told the congregation that, we got 50% less notes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. enough people ask me, "was that about me?" with these blogs that I've realized that we all have a little paranoia in us....and that I should put a disclaimer: This letter to anonymous wasn't really aimed at anyone in particular (how could it be?) or even one comment. It was, however, inspired by an anonymous comment left on someone else' blog.

    I just think it was weak...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:07 PM

    hurts when someone else'a blog gets more play than yours, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "gets more play"?
    -I got it...you were making a drive-by anonymous comment...nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:53 PM

    i dont just read fullers,i keep an eye on your writing too.
    im the real anonymous

    ReplyDelete