Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Customer Service RIP

(picture doesn't really have anything to do with the DMV, or customer service in general...I just wanted to put it on here)


Annie coming home from the DMV: They really do earn their reputation there.

She asked the person there if they were open until 4;30 each day? "no" That was her response. (pause)"um, how late are you open?" It was some weird battle of wills where the person at the DMV vowed to never give more than one word answers.

She was at WalMart and gave them a $5 off coupon and the cashier didn't know how to register it. "do you want to just bring this back and use this another time?" That was her suggestion...keep the coupon and bring it back - hopefully she'll get a smarter cashier the next time.

If I ever wish to enter the witness protection program - I'll just go into Lowe's and act like a customer...because I know that I'm invisible there. I see the little guys with the blue vests...but they see right through me. I give them the - I'm in need of help and would love to buy some of your handy products - look...but I get nothing.

I've spent 3 years of my life (by my calculations) on hold with a company that won't help me once I'm actually talking to someone who could help me. I pay for my groceries and say, "thank you" and they just sort of nod to me. The few times they actually say thank you to me, they're not looking anywhere near me....(is eye contact dead also?)

The only place I get any sort of service is when I go somewhere where I have to tip. That's something I'm noticing too...you have the option of tipping everywhere now. Even in places where you do all the work (order your food, wait in line, pick up your food, clear your table...) they have these little cups labeled "tip".

I keep hearing people ask, "whatever happened to customer service?" and I think it's time to call off the search. It's been more than seven years, we can officially pronounce it dead.

It's a sad day indeed.

5 comments:

  1. i love that picture and the people in it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still get good customer service some places. And when I do, I tip a lot. (10% is a lot, right?)

    I'm always surprised when people are nice...afterall, they're making like six bucks an hour to put up with people all day. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those people in that picture proudly posing next to something they have collectively regurgitated or is that something they are planning on eating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Preach it brother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:10 PM

    I hate Lowes. They never even know what they have there. They're mean too.

    I think everyone in every service industry is meaner than they used to be. People used to try hard to make others feel comfortable. At church, school, stores, and everywhere. I think its the hormones in the meats we eat.

    ReplyDelete