Wednesday, September 13, 2006

DONT - PLAY BALL!


I just saw a story about some baseball team and honestly thought, "they're still playing baseball?"

Why would they keep playing baseball once College and Pro football has started?

Do people still care about each of the 162 games these guys play?

How could you possibly keep up with that?

I hear that there are people out there that will watch or listen to every game in a season. I just have no idea how someone could commit to something like that.

Even if it was football...at some point you've just got to move on to something else.

In football they run constantly. In baseball they run occasionally.

In football they hit each other constantly. In baseball they might have a collision once in a game.

In football every player is involved in every play. In baseball 7 or 8 guys watch the play from the field while an entire team (minus the batter) watches the play from the bench.

In football the coach wears a sweatshirt. In baseball the coach wears tight pants, stirrup socks, a jersey and a hat.

In football there are quarters, a half time and some timeouts. In baseball the entire game is one big time out with an occasional hit or catch.

162 freaking games! Are you kidding me? Let's move on with our lives.

I'd still rather watch 162 baseball games than 3 soccer matches.

10 comments:

  1. Are you trying to provoke me? I know where you live, even if you try to cleverly conceal your whereabouts behind some "Queen City" ruse.

    Quoth the Highlander: I will take your head...

    Or try this one: Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I think you will LOVE soccer in the SPRING.
    Your #1 offspring of your loins shows off his athletic prowess on the field to the 6 year old (and 56 year old) cheerleaders...
    .
    (Griffin asked me yesterday if I had bought my pom-poms for cheering at his football teams games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This summer I had to go to little league night at a Clippers game. If that's not bad enought it wasn't even dime a dog night. Thank the Lord that my son has decided to play flag football, and didn't enjoy tee-ball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Murph, I gotta try and sell you on Hockey. 10 months of games, and more action than you can count with sticks. Three 20 minute periods of non stop action and occasionally you'll see a fight. It really has cleaned up since the days of Slap Shot fame. Take the kids to a game or two and watch as the emotion and intensity continue to build through the game. If you're lucky, you'll see the shoot out at the end of a tied regulation game and the following overtime periods. Seriously, hockey is underrated in this city. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:19 PM

    Thats exactly the description I was just going to write about gymnastics! It brings pangs of saddness at the underratation of gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Football is for warriors.
    Baseball is for artists.

    Both are great, but for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calling baseball an art may be a stretch.

    I could see, maybe, saying that a pitcher is an artist.


    "Me gonna hit ball now." - Manny Ramirez

    ReplyDelete
  8. baseball is for artists who don't have jobs yet and can sit around and listen to 162 games on their radio while writing poems about the plight of the working man...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:57 PM

    Are you serious that they run constantly in football? That's not even CLOSE to being true.

    I'll admit that there's tons more action in football.

    However, let's be realistic and say that football is 8-15 seconds of a play, then 1/2 to 5 minutes of sitting around thinking about what to do next.

    that's not bad. I kind of like it like that - it makes for a great spectator sport. However, it's just not even close to correct to say that football is constant running and action.

    Baseball is my favorite sport by far, but I'd prefer to watch a football game to a baseball game.

    Steve's got it right, though - they're completely different. I wish there weren't the overlap in seasons, but it's really okay because baseball plays most of its games during the week when football isn't happening (except for MAC teams, who insist on playing every night of the week BUT Saturday in the hopes that some second string high school cornerback from a GMC school that ISN'T Colerain might see their game on ESPN2 and consider visiting their campus and playing football for them).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm saying that while they're playing (and the clock is ticking) every player is running. In baseball, two players are typically moving at a pace that's slightly beyond sedentary...

    ReplyDelete