Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Left arm hangin' on Mr. Cooper


Cooper dislocated his elbow the other day. If you're wondering how that feels, I guess it kind of hurts.

We noticed that he wasn't using his left arm all of a sudden. We never saw it happen...he was playing with a half dozen kids in a huge room. When we went to feed him we noticed that he wouldn't lift his left arm. He kept pointing to it (which is part of the sign language for "this is where it hurts") He wouldn't use both hands to drink from his cup and his arm was just lifeless.

That's the problem with one year olds, they can't really communicate their pain very well. All the while we're wondering if he's just not using it, or if there's some kind of problem.

Annie took him to Children's Hospital. It was sad watching Coop point and walk around like little kids do....using so much motion, all the while his left arm was just hanging there.

When they saw the doctor, he immediately knew what it was and popped it back in. There was some hysterical screaming for about 5 seconds and then Coop was pointing to a ball and saying, "Ball! Ball!" although it sounds kind of like, "baw, baw"

We had a chance to see one tiny example of how pain sometimes can be good. Our little boy was left without the use of his arm...went through some pain...and now can point, pick up, catch or hug with his left arm. Without pain we wouldn't be motivated to get our teeth fixed, go to the doctor, stop doing destructive things to our bodies. Pain can be good on occasion.

It was just sad to see a little kid not being able to live that freed up, run around with his arms flailing, not knowing where he's going - unabashed joyous kid sprint.

I see the same kinds of things every day with people not living out their lives in a way that ultimately brings them life. I see them following the rules as stated on tv - and the ridiculously destructive things those characters do, just can't be solved in a half hour. People are walking around in pain and don't know why.

Ultimately it comes down to us making poor decisions and those around us making poor decisions. My friend who was mugged wasn't in pain because of something she had done, but because someone wanted money more than they cared about her safety. I don't think that mugging is shown in a positive light on tv, but I guarantee that mugger was surrounded by people who taught him it was ok to steal. That rich girl doesn't need more money to buy more clothes, she has plenty - why don't you get yours? You hear that enough, maybe you start believing it.

I hear all the time that "as long as it's not hurting anyone" or "it's my life" or "I'm just having fun" - you even hear parents, "as long as you're happy" Really? That's your advice? I've never been so happy ever since I learned that I can sleep around with no consequences to my emotional or physical well being. I've never been so happy ever since I remembered that I can take things from people who don't really deserve them in the first place.

I can do what I want and there are no consequences! I can prove it - I saw it on an episode of Friends.

I'm not saying that all of this is being glamorized on tv - it's too obvious that some things are wrong. (you're not going to see Chandler robbing banks) There are just BOATLOADS of examples of things that to some are obviously wrong...but because it's arguably ok ("who is this really hurting?") to folks who are just used to it by now - they don't see how destructive it can be.

If you grow up in a society where women are oppressed, you'll probably accept that as true. If you grow up in a society where just about anything is good, as long as you feel good about it...then you'll accept that as true. I've had educated people explain to me that if "you believe it's true, than it is...for you" So it's ok? I can just do what I want?

Without any pain, this cycle would just keep going and going...and we would spiral so fast, it would....um....you know....make your head spin.

Pain isn't always good. We feel pain on occasion because of the problems in other people's lives.

I'm just glad the doctor popped his elbow back in.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:57 PM

    I am sorry about Cooper's elbow. Steve used to have his elbow do that all the time when he was little and he could also bend his toes under and walk on them - ask him sometime if he can still do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:13 PM

    ouch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Banks, no. She's always been a liquor store kind of girl. Stealing in and of itself is bush league. Stealing and drinking, however, is considered going above and beyond the call of duty. Two birds with one stone. Sometimes she'll even vote democrat that morning just to complete the trifecta of sin.

    ReplyDelete