Friday, September 08, 2006

Why Saget will rule the fantasy football world


Fantasy football season is officially under way. I always feel pretty good about my chances and this year is no different.

My team, "Saget", has some of the top players, but I usually feel that way after the draft. Based on my rankings, I always have more top guys than anyone else. This year I have two of the top ten running backs (they're the most valuable in this league), two of the top ten quarterbacks, two of the top twenty wide receivers, three of the top twenty tight ends, the top kicker and the sixth ranked defense.

Given that I was the twelfth and final pick in the draft...and that running backs are worth so much, this feels like a pretty great team.

That's just it though - you never really know what you've got until you play.

Last night Charlie Batch threw three touchdown passes and racked up great fantasy points. Sadly, no one drafted him. It was all for naught. I hope nobody tells poor Charlie that last night was a total waste of his talents.

It'd be a shame to have him on your team and to not have started him yesterday. How frustrating is it to have something so great go to waste???

It'd also be a shame to have this ability to love, serve and encourage others...but to have it sit the bench because you just didn't think it'd be worth it most days.

Who wants to waste talent? Who isn't frustrated when a great athlete blows it by getting arrested or doing something stupid that precludes them from playing? Or the guy who just sort of coasts on his talent...because it's good enough? We are that athlete. We all do it in some way. Maybe it's the missed opportunity to encourage someone. Maybe you have the gifts and abilities to do some great work...but instead you're memorizing guys stats for your fantasy league...

So how do you maximize your gifts and abilities? How do you live your life in a way that isn't just coasting? How are you going to live in such a way that you know in the fourth quarter you'll end up scoring the winning touchdown (and then Joey Porter will seal the win with an interception) - because you're prepared to win?

I guess you never know until you play...

6 comments:

  1. i tagged you. check it out at my blog

    here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, if you had the 12th pick overall, and you got 2 of the top 10 running backs, then the other teams in your league must suck.

    Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a few guys always draft a big name quarterback...always happens. So I got a top ten running back and then had the first pick in the second round...so I went and got another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined a second league this year that has an auction draft. I loved it!!! Made my old leagues regular draft seem boring, even thought I got a much better team in that league, much like yours in the rankings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the auction leagues. Nobody ever wants to do them because they take so long...but for me, that's the whole point. Hang out, talk smack, make fun of the guy who takes dumb picks, drive up the price of bad players....
    good times

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of bad picks, some guy in my league took Drew Bledsoe in the second round (pick 24 overall).

    I knew we shouldn't let Bruce Coslet in our league.

    ReplyDelete