Wednesday, September 27, 2006

How to make a horrific story worse

I know we get a worst story ever told to us every couple of week, but I can't imagine a story much worse than the Marcus Feisel one.

On August 15th there was a search for the missing Marcus. On Aug 4, prosecutors say the Carrolls headed for a family reunion, wrapped up Marcus like a mummy with packing tape, put him in a closet, and left. Early on August 6, they returned and found him dead.

On August 10, a caseworker visits the Carroll home trying to see Marcus, but Liz tells her Marcus is sick and turns her away. August 15, Liz allegedly feigns passing out at Juilf's Park in Anderson Township. David arrives about 20 minutes later and tells authorities that Marcus was with Liz and is missing. "I'm not thinking anything besides he's scared and hiding, you know. Anderson township, I'll imagine they'll find him. I'm praying to God and hoping everything will be find."

August 21, Liz Carroll makes a tearful plea on Local 12. "That's why I went into foster care, that's why I went into daycare, cause kids are my life." August 22, Liz makes another public plea appearing in the clothes she says she wore the day she collapsed. "He was never happier than the times that he was with me. I just ask that he please be returned." Monday, August 28. Amy Baker, a live in girlfriend of the Carroll's gives investigators the break they need, revealing the Carroll's plot and leading investigators to the place he was burned. Liz and David are charged with involuntary manslaughter.

This is a pretty awful story...

And now the mother is suing the County. This is the mother who had her child taken from her after he fell out of a window. This is the mother who had her child taken from her when he was found wandering the streets by himself. This is the mother who had three kids living in a flea and feces ridden house that didn't have food. This is the mother who had the option of applying for custody again of her son and opted not to.... She was saying loud and clear that "this is your problem now" and all of this just makes me sick...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:46 AM

    It makes me sick to know that the attorneys representing her in the lawsuit knew that she had no intention of getting him back and yet they still are representing her in a lawsuit??

    This happened about 2 miles from my house and the whole thing makes me sick, how could anyone do such horrible things to a child and then gain the sympathy of a whole community knowing all the while they were guilty?? Not only is the birth mother in it for the money but so were the Carrolls...nobody cared about poor Marcus.....Sick indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. orphaned by two mothers (as if one wasn't enough), killed in the cruelest act of neglect I can think of by the very people whose custody he was put into because of neglect, his body burned as if he was infected with the plague.

    It gets harder and harder to believe or understand God's unconditional love.

    It certainly sends you to scripture.
    JAM 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

    I can't claim to do a whole lot of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:25 PM

    It is so hard to put words to the sickness I feel in my guts about this. If she gets $.01 of the $5 MILLION dollars she is suing the county for then... oh my gosh, I just don't know if I will be able to function. And I am with you Lori, what lawyer in what world would advise her, "Yeah this is a good case, I'll take it. We have a good shot at winning." I am amazed more everyday with the direction and sickness of this world. My heart is aching, I need to go hug my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:20 PM

    annie...i wish i could go hug your kids too.

    i remember hearing the beginning and middle part of this story when i was visiting in august and can not believe the end. just can not believe how vast the separation from what we were intended to live like and how we are living.

    miss you and love you my friend,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:48 AM

    Once I started Invisible Kids, I couldn't put it down. This book fascinated my heart and refused to let go till the last page was turned and I made the allegiance to do something. (www.InvisibleKidsTheBook.com)

    ReplyDelete