Thursday, September 07, 2006

and the first announcement is...


I did the transitions at my church this past weekend (that's what we call the announcements....transition from music to talk). It's fun to get up in front of thousands of people and talk for a bit, but it's not anything I've ever asked to . The odd part for me is when I came off the stage.

I had someone ask me why a friend of mine never gets to do the announcements. "She used to do stand up comedy. She would be great!" As she said this, more and more girls were circling me saying the same kinds of things.

I agree...and I'm not in charge.

"But it's time more women were doing the announcements" "OK...and that's why last week we had a woman do them. And next week we have a woman. And it's really not a man/woman thing anyhow." "That's easy for you to say, you're a man!"

We have three women and two men who regularly do them. I wonder if, when Dana does them this week, she'll be hit up by a bunch of guys demanding that more men get to do them.

They're announcements, not seats on the front of the bus.

Somehow the perception is that men always do them.
Perception = belief
too bad Truth doesn't = belief

bummer, huh?

10 comments:

  1. I can tell you why one particular person asked you that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the misperception and overreaction can be best understood when we take it in the context of the fact that the majority of the people seen on stage most weeks are male (when you include not only transitions but also teaching and worship teams). It's been my experience that the more visible roles are for whatever reason (many very valid, I think) served by men, even as women are serving in very critical roles that may be less visible. Some people may not realize that and have a misperception that women aren't valued or utilized well in an organization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had been there.


    Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. next time it's your turn, dress like a woman. that takes transition to whole different level. of course, getting fired also takes your family income to whole new level. but hey, comedy is not pretty , and neither are you as a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why has the Vineyard never let a blind person do transitions? Do they hate the blind?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pettiness supreme....
    PLEEZE tell us that you are making this up.
    (although I do understand Marsha's point of view)

    Did these women think that you had compromising pictures of someone in the higher decision-making ranks?

    This reminds me of the time I came out of a church service and the person parked next to me asked me if I had written this scathing note that was on their windshield. It chastised them for the way they parked their vehicle. And this was after a heart-warming sermon about "Love Thy Neighbor"...
    WOW...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:22 PM

    Nothing is worse than a woman who sympathizes with misogynist point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. disagree with me and I will label you...

    You like America - you're clearly a xenophobe

    aren't for gay marriage - I label you a homophobe

    against affirmative action - you must be a racist!

    disagree with me and I will label you...that's how I roll
    -anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Sean...Anonynous is just playing a game...you know...name calling..just like we did when were 6 years old.

    Example:
    "I know you are but what am I?"
    "Your Mama wears army boots" (never did understand that one...)
    I pray for all who name call...unless we are talking smack during a heated ping pong match or watching your silly football team lose tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. or when you are calling a second grader whose name is Dylan a dill pickle and during class meeting time where i said it makes me really sad to hear someone make fun of someone's name and he says you did that to me on the first day by calling me a dill pickle!
    sweet.
    speaking of sweet...one of my kids' last names is sweet and i keep saying buddy, your name is pretty sweet! is that name calling? or just annoying primary school teacher talk?

    ReplyDelete