Friday, September 29, 2006

Note to Pastors:

Note to Pastors:
you should know that I think your job, like most jobs, is a lot harder than it looks. I know you’re always on. I know that more people want more things from you than you can probably give. I know that you need some time at home and with your family and that line sometimes gets fuzzy when people are always calling for advice, stopping by, or asking you to stop by the (funeral home, hospital, house or cousin’s kid’s play)

Here are just a couple of thing that I’ve noticed:
I heard a speaker last night that was pretty good. I’d say he’s a good 40-45 minute speaker. I think you should only speak for as long as you are good…and not necessarily as long as the spot they’ve given you. You’ll never have to apologize for going short. This guy went for about two hours. After an hour and twenty minutes he said, “I know we’re tight on time” and then went another 39 minutes.

39 minutes

An entire team of writers puts together The Office each week. They come up with 22 minutes worth of good material…make it visually appealing…leave 8 minutes for commercials…and call it a week.

You’re not as good as an entire team of writers. You’re just not. (I do realize that you have better material to work with)

This guy was non verbally saying (while he was verbally sharing his message) that he didn’t care that the conference was supposed to end at 9:00 (that’s arrogance)
He was saying that what he had to say was more important than whatever we had planned from 9:00 on. (more of the same)
He was going back on a promise that they made when they said that we'd get out of there by 9:00.

and…

He just didn’t plan out his talk. He didn’t time it out and realize that he was going to go over. He didn’t think it was important enough to plan it out.

That’s not good…because I know he had some good things to say….plenty of it….but most of us can’t retain that much….we just can’t.

Here’s one other note to Pastors:
He used fill in the blank notes and once he made his last point you could hear hundreds of people folding up their notes, gathering their things, stuffing things into bags and a bit of a murmur. Once you fill out the last blank, a lot of people check out.

This is when you’re really trying to nail your last point. This is what you want to leave them with…and they’re rummaging through their things wondering how crowded the parking lot is…

I’m not sure that’s the way to go…but that’s just my little ‘ol opinion.

I still love you gals and guys…

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:10 AM

    My favorite line - only talk as long as you are good....classic....

    the mind will secure what the butt can endure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:11 PM

    I read that people can say in 15 seconds what they usually take 2 minutes to. Talk about slimming down your message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant post!

    perhaps a tad too long...

    ReplyDelete