Thursday, April 20, 2006

pops


Having kids is sort of like going on vacation.
Every hour or so you feel compelled to take a picture because you want to capture the moment forever. I take these pictures of my kids because they're incredibly cute. I pass them around, girls ooh and ahh, and guys pretend to give a rip.


When I went to Colorado I remember saying the word "wow" more in those few days than I had in my entire life. I found myself pulling out my camera to try and capture the scenery dozens of times an hour. The problem is that the pictures just don't come near doing them justice.

I generally throw out pictures with incredible views unless there are people in them. They're just not that impressive to me. Part of that is that I have incredibly shaky hands....and that doesn't really lend itself to photography. The real reason is that pictures can't possibly tell the thousands of words and stories that real life interaction can.

I love my boys in ways that I can't possibly explain. There are times when I see them and I feel like I'm going to pass out if I don't pick them up just to hold them. It's indescribable. Keep in mind that Griff filled the dish washer with hand soap the other day. We had suds coming out of the dishwasher for the next couple of days. Not so cute...but I love him.



On some small level I can relate to the love of the Father. It hits me in a way that I think I genuinely feel sympathy/empathy/sorry for people who don't know that love. When I read about a God that loved us so much that He let his son pay the price for a bunch of screw balls by sending him to a place that was so screwed up...and put Him in harms way...I just couldn't do it.

I can't even remotely relate to that kind of sacrifice. But I sure can feel the love of a Father, and because of that...I feel like I can even catch a little of His love for me.

10 comments:

  1. I once filled the dishwasher with liquid dish soap. It caused a sudsy flood of bubbles to fill the kitchen and start leaking into the downstairs.

    Hold old is Griff? I ask because I was 22 when I made that mistake.

    And while I can wait to have kids of my own, I long for the days when I can comprehend what it is parents talk about when they try and describe the emotions they have for their children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, your kids are pretty darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes when I am holding other peoples kids I feel like I'm going to pass out if I don't put them down so I can relate.
    In all actuality I am a little like Lenny from "Of Mice and Men" and I'm afraid I'll squeeze them so hard I'll hurt them and those aren't even my kids. Hooowee are my kids in for a long life catlike squirming to get away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave,
    Lennie was pretty strong - there's a pretty good chance your kids will be stronger than you.
    Aunt Kim on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:57 AM

    i did the whole "wrong soap in the dishwasher" thing at courtneny brooks' house. IMAGINE chuck brooks finding that sight and my being the responsible party. i was like 17. oh the memories. those were funny times. and he was one big man.

    murph..your aunt kim comment..classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:01 PM

    sorry to the ladies but he is all mine and i love him more than i can even understand. i love his heart, his passion and the way he loves his family. and we have cute babies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't possibly imagine how much people love their kids because I look at Mac and Te and I want to cry all the time, I want to hold them and never let go, I want to spend every waking moment with them because I love them so much... and they aren't even mine!

    Oh what it will be like when I have kids... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie didn't say anything about the men. I still have a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Steve I will fight you and I am pretty nimble despite my girth right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fuller, have you seen me in shorts and a tank top?
    You still think you've got a shot?

    ReplyDelete