Monday, September 10, 2007

chasing after the wind


Every conversation I expect to have for the next couple of months...at least on Sundays.

"So what's the deal with you liking Pittsburgh...and your family too?"

"We're just big fans of the Super Bowls, so we've seen them play a bunch"

"But they're awful"

"well again to the earlier Super Bowl point - they've won a bunch of 'em"

"but....um....you're living in the past"

I actually heard that I was living in the past by a friend of mine the day after the Steelers won the Super Bowl (they're fifth, if you're keeping score at home). There was one guy I work with that was always a good sport about the whole deal. He'd actually congratulate me after each Steeler's victory - as though I played. If I did play, I'd wear a jersey...but why would I ever wear a football jersey of a team I'm not on? My kids do that, but they also wear super hero costumes. "you never know, if the coach needs someone for special teams...I'm here....and I've already got the jersey on"

Back to my point - it's just sports. People get all fired up - people who don't understand the sport, but get mad because you don't like the team that they like. Then there are the ones who memorize stats and records as though they were memorizing scripture... In fact a friend of mine was talking at church about how he knew it bugged me that so many people in our fantasy league knew the backup left guard for the Seahawks, but had no idea where the great commission was located - to which one of the guys in the league said, "Matthew 25"

I get that people watch sports, and pick up little facts and figures. Ultimately if your team wins the big one though....what are you left with? (I know this is only a hypothetical question if you're a Bengals fan)

I remember Ohio State winning the national championship. I remember all the Super Bowl trophies - and the Pirates winning it all in '79 - and my life really isn't that different.

It's a momentary pleasure that quickly passes - until someone decides to revolve their life and their conversations about it...and somehow I've offended the reason for their living by choosing to follow a different team.

It's folly I tell you...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:11 AM

    Sean MM...YOu sure write a lotof blogs with the subject being FOOTBALL during this season for it to be a "MOMENTARY" pleasure!
    But PLEEZE, don't stop..they give me at least a grin for the day, not just a moment...

    ReplyDelete