Friday, October 23, 2009

Good Conversation

Prayer is a funny thing.  There are thousands of books written on the subject, and yet I feel a little silly going to a class teaching me to do something that I've done for most of my life.

And yet I am...tomorrow.  I've come to the realization that I have the opportunity to meet with/talk with/live in the presence of the God of the Universe...and maybe I should stop taking that for granted.  It's odd how cavalier I've become about it.

If I were to tell you that I was talking with President Obama about the NFL, you'd stop me and say, "what?  You were talking with who?"  It'd be a big deal.  What if God was a bigger deal than politics, celebrity or sports?  Imagine a conversation with God affecting more of one's life than a chance encounter with Tom Sellek in an elevator. 

The reality is talking with Tom about the great mustache controversy of 1999 would be a big deal. Talking with the Fella that created everything might be as well.  So what do you think you'd talk about or even think about more?

I honestly haven't taken prayer that seriously.  I just sort of do it.  Tomorrow is more about my decision to put some thought, energy and time into my conversations with God.

It's about time...

1 comment:

  1. Great point here, Sean.

    I do the same. I talk to God like I brush my teeth most times: regularly on auto-pilot.

    I especially like the comparison to "talking to Obama about football." People would say, "you were talking to WHO???"

    Exactly.

    ReplyDelete