Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Adding something

Giving up something for Lent has an interesting deal for me.

I’ve talked/written about the sort of funny taste this always leaves in my mouth. Often it’s about quitting smoking/sugar/crack thing more than it’s a focusing on my relationship with God thing. It can confuse spirituality with self improvement and I personally believe that that takes it from a God focus to a Me focus. I really think this is the core of much of our confusion with faith. We make God in our image. We believe the stuff about God that we want to believe. We make him a blond haired fella with piercing blue eyes and a tenor that would knock your Birkenstocks off.

So I heard this quote and I thought this wasn’t a bad idea. Maybe it’s semantics…but I liked it.
“Maybe you normally give something up for Lent? … Instead of giving something up for Lent, maybe you should add something for Lent. Add a spiritually strategic thing to your life for life.” – Brian Tome

It seems like this would help me to start doing something – to be more proactive – less reactive – and might just propel me into some life choices or risks that would put me in a position to be more receptive to what God’s doing.

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea, Causeway Coast are adding events all during lent to connect with people

    ReplyDelete
  2. they totally stole it from me...

    ReplyDelete