Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympic Fever

I'm not sure I have olympic fever, but I definitely have a headache and night sweats.  I've been trying to figure out if I'm being unpatriotic or do I just not enjoy trampoline as a sport?

I don't care about watching swimming on tv for three and a half years, but now I have to watch the women's 300 free?  Is that even a race?  Doesn't matter.  I don't really care much about diving, and if you put two people together and have them dive the exact same way....well then I don't really care times two.

I'm going to take the stance that it'd only really be unpatriotic if I was rooting for Korea. 

Several times I've mentioned sports I don't really enjoy and would hear about my xenophobia.  It's really a sore subject if you mention that soccer is boring.  It's not that you don't like this great sport Sean, it's just that you're a stupid American who doesn't enjoy the world's most popular sport.  I actually hear the same -it's popular so it must be good - argument from folks who like NASCAR.  I'm just not sure that that's necessarily true  Maybe I'm wrong and Hannah Montana is a great singer.  It's possible that crack really is a good thing.  Maybe I should follow the trends more and figure out what the best things are?

So I got sidetracked a bit.  I'm just saying that the Olympics aren't really my thing.

Is that so wrong?

10 comments:

  1. Yes, it is wrong. Almost as wrong as stealing blog titles! Also, 300 free is not an event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot you posted that title..but come on, did you really coin that phrase? I'd watch the olympics if they had the 300 free...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, my problem with the Summer Games, carried over from what you commented on my blog, is historically they (the network - NBC) would only show track and field, gymnastics (boring), and some pool events. They don't show the really great events like wrestling, field hockey, fencing, etc.

    I know I was a network television watcher growing up (we didn't have cable because it was expensive) and I think this is the reason I need the networks to actually collaborate on major world events instead of monopolizing the event for commercial and monetary gains.

    This could be a huge year for so many new competitions to reach the masses that it would spark interest in the event and it would become more popular.

    Of course, I don't know if I want some sports to be more popular...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:50 AM

    bragg likes trendy sports that no one else watches? shocking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:34 PM

    How about a manly game of badmitton?
    MS

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can checkout the non televised sports on the web. Did you catch the men's 10-meter air pistol Saturday? I think competitive grass growing would be more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:45 PM

    India took home the gold in air rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like I said, 'great' events. I did see field hockey this morning on the web.

    I'm still confused about the equestrian event. who gets the medal, the rider or the horse?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:39 PM

    bragg gets the medal for being so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *sigh

    and here i was hoping you could be more original this time. guess you get the medal for worst comment thread ever.

    :)

    ReplyDelete